Quantcast

chain stay length and control

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Hi guys
What do you think about chain stay length and it effect on controlling your rear end?
The first thing I've noticed when going from my sunday to my new DHR was the rear end felt a bit long...
I know that the control over the rear wheel in corners is very important. And short CS can help smaller riders.
Look at the new Norco DH bike. They made their S an M bikes have shorter CS.
But when I look at the differences it is only 5mm... :confused:
Can a 5mm in CS length do so much?
And if so, maybe it’s time for all companies to make their bikes CS different in S, m & L?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I personally prefer a longer chainstay, and I think it is partly my riding style (obviously) but I wonder if it is also because I ride in clips. My feet are further back than most riders on flats, the difference is probably greater than the 3/4" difference in chainstay length between bikes I like and bikes I dont.
There is a whole bunch of not sure in this, and I have been thinking it is time to try a shorter chainstay length again. You mentioned the Aurum and the cs on the large is still shorter than my sunday.....

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I personally prefer a longer chainstay, and I think it is partly my riding style (obviously) but I wonder if it is also because I ride in clips. My feet are further back than most riders on flats, the difference is probably greater than the 3/4" difference in chainstay length between bikes I like and bikes I dont.
There is a whole bunch of not sure in this, and I have been thinking it is time to try a shorter chainstay length again. You mentioned the Aurum and the cs on the large is still shorter than my sunday.....
I see what you mean but that doesn't change your BB position and I think that is where the force is transmitted through, like a lever. I think it all must be taken into account together. The TT length, bar height, BB height and CS length. All those factors together have a big affect on rear end control.

I think CS length has a huge impact on the feel and control of a bike. We don't have a lot of high speed flat corners around here so I prefer a shorter rear end (425mm) for the steep and technical tracks. When I ride flat and fast tracks the longer rear end helps the bike track better, keep the rear more planted and most importantly behind me. I like to be able to adjust the CS length depending on the track but end up in the shorter settings based on the trails I like to ride. I like a long front end, low BB and short rear end. Seems like a good mix of stability and maneuverability for around here. I also don't have to lean back as much on the steeps making it easier to corner.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Yeah, there must be some points in our movement where we are using the cranks as a lever (other than the obvious pedalling), just as there are situations where all that matters is centre of gravity.
One day I'll have to get an accurate scale and see how moving my feet 75mm affects front - rear weight balance. Even then, static weight distribution will only ever tell a tiny part of the story.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Another interesting topic is BB height with clips vs. flats. I think a clipless rider can get away with a slightly lower BB height than a flat pedal rider but that is another topic.

Back to Saruti's question about the 5mm. On the same bike with a 5mm difference without changing anything else, I think 5mm is definitely noticeable. If you are on the brink of too long or too short 5mm makes a huge difference, IMO.