Quantcast

Chain stretch on a SS... is it a worry?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
You want an 8 speed or SS specific methinks.
I concur, but stay away from the PC-1. I went through those things 3x faster than a PC-58. It doesn't make sense, it's supposed to a thicker chain. I've been running a 1/2"x1/8" BMX chain all season and I swear the thing hasn't stretched at all. :thumb:

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
First, most of you probably know this, but chains don't stretch per se'. They wear out at the pivoting points, creating more "slop" and that extra space shows up as a longer chain, giving the impression that it has stretched when in fact it's just wearing out.

Just saying this for clarity.

That said, your chain will wear out faster in poorer conditions or if you don't clean it/lube it sufficiently. Just like your geared drivetrains.

More material will take longer to wear away, so BMX chains or the like seem to give longer life. Conversely 10 speed/9 speed chains will wear out faster. There is less material there.

I have had great luck with SRAM PC-48 (now a new designation, I can not remember it) and PC-58 chains. My aluminum chainwheels wear out before the chains do.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I concur, but stay away from the PC-1. I went through those things 3x faster than a PC-58. It doesn't make sense, it's supposed to a thicker chain. I've been running a 1/2"x1/8" BMX chain all season and I swear the thing hasn't stretched at all. :thumb:
the PC-1 is junk. i've snapped 3 of them. sram kept sending me new ones.. pc-48 or pc-58 would be your best choices.

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Also, I wouldn't waste your time and money on alloy cogs such as Endless Kickass, they are far from endless and a steel cogs kick just as much ass. I only got a month out of mine, switching to Surly...
The beefy 1/8" BMX chains also last and you won't ever worry about snapping it when you're torquing up nasty climbs. A few onces of extra drivetrain strength shouldn't be something to fret over...

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The Sram 8 speed chains will work fine. I like the Connex 808 chain the best for single speed. I even used their 909 9 speed chain for ss for a while and had no problems with it. The 808 has been 100% reliable.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
save money and run KMC bmx chains. I run Z chains and swap them out every six months on my SS and Fixie, haven't had a SS chain break since my BMX days... also I am running a Niner cog on my SS and a Surly cog on my Fixie....