Quantcast

chain stuck between frame and tire

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
for a long time my chain was popping off my chainring then getting stuck in between my frame and tire...so i bought a chain guide...now the chain stays on but it's still getting stuck...anyone know an easy/inexpensive way to fix this problem

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Problem with your rear derailleur perhaps? Sticky pivots or a bad spring may prevent the derailleur from keeping contstant tension on your chain. Chainrings bent? Freehub still smooth? It could be a number of things, really. Without more information, it could be hard to give you an answer. Taking it to your LBS will be easiest.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
what chainguide, what frame, what rear hub.

alot of the time its your rear hub while coasting that is causing it to get stuck. when the free hub is dirty or broken it can't coast correctly. so it just pushes your chain into your tire/chainstay

pics would be good too, see how things are setup

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
Problem with your rear derailleur perhaps? Sticky pivots or a bad spring may prevent the derailleur from keeping contstant tension on your chain. Chainrings bent? Freehub still smooth? It could be a number of things, really. Without more information, it could be hard to give you an answer. Taking it to your LBS will be easiest.
well i work at the lbs...my rear der is running smooth...non of the chainrings are bent...and the hub is smooth, even though i'm not sure what thats got to do with it...my chain is getting stuck right next to where the seat stay and the chain stays meet

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
New chain and/or narrower back tire....

A wide tire in combo with a 47 - 50 mm chainline bike puts the chain very close to the side knobs especially in small rings and/or big cogs. This is also when the chain has the least tension. If you chain is a little old, it will have more side slop/give than a new chain, and can just bounce side to side and get sucked into and down with the tire.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Uh, what kind of bike do you have, what kind of tire and rim, what deriallure, what chainguide, what BB you have installed (83 vs. 68 is a big difference...) and what size cassette are you running?

There could be a lot of things causing that to happen.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
A short cage rear mech (rather than long) would help keep tension on the chain. With a single ring in front, thats the best set up.

rotate your guide clockwise a bit more (as close to touching the chainstay as possible)

looks like you have a bit of extra chain..causing less tension.

XGrantX

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
Your not making any sense. Is it getting stuck between the cassette and the frame or the frame and the tyre behind your bottom bracket.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, with the pics, i'm still gonna go with the free hub just needed to be cleaned out and re-greased/lubed.

how long have you had the deemax wheels?

also davep has a good point. what width bb are you running? and is the guide as close the the frame as possible or?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
A short cage rear mech (rather than long) would help keep tension on the chain. With a single ring in front, thats the best set up.
looks like you have a bit of extra chain..causing less tension.
not sure if it makes a difference for the short cage, but my crank set is actually a double ring...i just broke the small ring and never use it

and if i take out any more tension then i won't be able to shift to my largest cog

Your not making any sense. Is it getting stuck between the cassette and the frame or the frame and the tyre behind your bottom bracket.
sorry i meant to say seat tube...between the frame and tire behind my bottom bracket

hm, with the pics, i'm still gonna go with the free hub just needed to be cleaned out and re-greased/lubed.

how long have you had the deemax wheels?

also davep has a good point. what width bb are you running? and is the guide as close the the frame as possible or?
i'll give the cleaning and grease job a try

i've had the wheels for about a year and a half now and they were brand new when i got them

my bb length is 118...but here's the kicker, before i had a 113 on there and i didn't know much about bikes at the time and thought it was the right one, until i went to go take my bb out and the part where you put the tool in to remove had been worn away....so i had to get creative and finally got it out, and then i put in the 118...now it didn't start doing that until i got the longer bb...not really sure if that is just a coincidence or what

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you answered your own question

go back to the 113. your bike was designed around. your chain line with the wider bb is too far out.
did you mod the chainguide to be spaced over to the crank more or did you just leave it the same?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
dood the chainline on chase's suck, thats the main problem, or something to that effect. Mine came off all the time, I even had problems from time to time with an e-13. I dunno what c-dale did to it, so I'm just rocking it single speed these days.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
gemini2k, you gave up too early. i've setup that bike many times. if done correctly. it works.

how about a top down view of your chain guide setup.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
you answered your own question

go back to the 113. your bike was designed around. your chain line with the wider bb is too far out.
did you mod the chainguide to be spaced over to the crank more or did you just leave it the same?
i can't do the 113 though, my crankset is requires a 118...i had the 113 on there and the crankset wore away on the oustide of the bottom bracket so i couldn't get the tool engaged

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
what bb?

is it the hozzzzfeelllzer ISIS? or is it the new external?

those cranks will work fine on a 113. hell even a 110. matters the bb more so.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
it's the gigapipe team dh isis

i don't see how it would work on a 113...the crank arm literally wore away the bb because it was too close to it and it constantly rubbed it

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
gemini2k, you gave up too early. i've setup that bike many times. if done correctly. it works.

how about a top down view of your chain guide setup.
it SS now, with a PINK CHAIN, ya i'm pretty cool. But no, both me and my friend had nothing but problems with out chains on 3 different chase's, i mean like, without the chain guide they were all substatially worse than a normal cheap-o xc bike. Like ANY backpeadling would drop the chain. It was obnoxious.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
it's the gigapipe team dh isis

i don't see how it would work on a 113...the crank arm literally wore away the bb because it was too close to it and it constantly rubbed it
the crank arm in no way should be able to touch the bb shell. if it is, something terrible is wrong/not setup right