Quantcast

Chain Tension

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
644
0
In a box
OK, so I've almost completely got my SS built up, but I'm having some chain issues. I'm running 32-18, on a soul cycles frame with horizontal dropouts. I'm using an sram 8 spd chain, and my problem is that I either have no slack at all, or (with just 1 more link) I have too much slack. And even if I try to slide the wheel back on the dropouts, the chain can still pull it out of alignment. Anybody know how I can remedy this?
 

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
7,162
1
austin
if the wheel is coming out of alignment, get some chaintugs. what kind of hub are you using? QR or bolt-on? anything special about the dropouts (chromed, or something)?

also, it's likely the brakes causing it to shift. but that's not really important.
 

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
644
0
In a box
maybe I'm retarded, but I went back to sheldon brown and still can't find what I'm looking for. BTW I'm using QR on the rear. Should I try bolt-on release instead? I just need to get the chain to stop pulling the wheel out of alignment. What it seems to be is the pull of the chain is stronger than the tightness of the QR holding the wheel on.
 

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
588
0
Wilmington, NC
Ok, that's more clear. Either crank the piss outta your skewers, covnert to solid axle w/track nuts, or you may have to get some chain tugs as was previously suggested.
 

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
7,797
0
Portland, OR
Crazy Sweeper said:
maybe I'm retarded, but I went back to sheldon brown and still can't find what I'm looking for. BTW I'm using QR on the rear. Should I try bolt-on release instead? I just need to get the chain to stop pulling the wheel out of alignment. What it seems to be is the pull of the chain is stronger than the tightness of the QR holding the wheel on.
Let me know if you find a decent bolt on axel (w/ track nuts) that can replace a std. QR (10mm) skewer, I've yet to find one.
 

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
269
0
On the asthenosphere
Crazy Sweeper said:
OK, so I've almost completely got my SS built up, but I'm having some chain issues. I'm running 32-18, on a soul cycles frame with horizontal dropouts. I'm using an sram 8 spd chain, and my problem is that I either have no slack at all, or (with just 1 more link) I have too much slack. And even if I try to slide the wheel back on the dropouts, the chain can still pull it out of alignment. Anybody know how I can remedy this?
One other thing to look at is this (sort of a trick) loosen the chainring bolts slightly (enough to move the ctr. point of the ring around relative to the ctr. of the BB). Now with the bolts loose, tap the chain a few times here and there while turning the crankarm. This assures you aren't getting a "biopace" effect where there are periodic high and lows in the ring alignment. That can cause tension and slack accrordingly. Hope I explained it well enough. Or, I probably missed the whole point. Oh, yes chain tugs are golden too. :stupid:
 

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
129
0
manasscrack
if the dropouts still have a good bit of paint on them grind that away, and convert to bolt on and run at least a chain tug on the drive side...you will have no more problems with randomly losing chain tension
 

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
7,797
0
Portland, OR
vwmtnbiker said:
what do you find inferior with most bolt on axels?
Huh? Nothing...I've never tried one. I was just wondering if he had found one that worked well. I need a bolt on that can (as I said) replace a std. (10mm) QR skewer. All the ones I've found so far are rounded on the out side and tightened with an allen wrench. Like these...



I'm looking for one that has actual track nuts that can be tightened with a crescent wrench/socket/etc.. Like this...



I haven't been able to find any in this style that will simply replace a std. skewer, they're all made for thru-axels.

You have any suggestions?
 

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
4,424
72
Hershey, PA
McGRP01 said:
I haven't been able to find any in this style that will simply replace a std. skewer, they're all made for thru-axels.

You have any suggestions?
Can't a QR axle be replaced with a solid axle?
 

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
4,424
72
Hershey, PA
McGRP01 said:
Sure....as far as I know anyway. Just finding a soild axel in the right size that I'm having a hard time with. Suggestions?
It sounds easy. :) What size is it...or is that part of the problem?
 

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
7,797
0
Portland, OR
vwmtnbiker said:
OHHHHHHHHHH...you mean to just replace the skewer with a bolt on type. you need to replace the whole axel with a 10x1 bolt on.
Yeah, sorry about the confusion. I think I'm on the right track now! :)
 

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
547
8
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Keep it simple! If you have track fork ends on your bike, and are using a QR wheel, the best (and most cost effective) way IMO is to use a Surly Tuggnut.
It comes with a little adapter to work with the QR. Pic from 63xc.com.
I use it on my Chameleon, (you only need one) and the chain is always perfectly tensioned, and the wheel has NEVER moved (in the fork ends). Those surly folks even put locktite blue on the threads of the little tensioner knob, it's a real well thought out device. BTW, I went thru 2 other chain tug devices, and nothing compares to the surly. Also, Dont waste your time/money to change the QR to solid axle.
 

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
15,458
9
Burlington, Connecticut
C.P. said:
Keep it simple! If you have track fork ends on your bike, and are using a QR wheel, the best (and most cost effective) way IMO is to use a Surly Tuggnut.
It comes with a little adapter to work with the QR. Pic from 63xc.com.
I use it on my Chameleon, (you only need one) and the chain is always perfectly tensioned, and the wheel has NEVER moved (in the fork ends). Those surly folks even put locktite blue on the threads of the little tensioner knob, it's a real well thought out device. BTW, I went thru 2 other chain tug devices, and nothing compares to the surly. Also, Dont waste your time/money to change the QR to solid axle.
It also looks like those double as a beer bottle opener!! :thumb: