Quantcast

Chain tensioner?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hey,

I put chain tensioner on my DK General Lee but it doesn't seem to work. The thing that sits on the drop outs and pulls on the axle bottoms out before actually pulling on the axle. I've removed as many links from my chain as I can; I've got about a 1/4 between the tire and frame. Pull one more link and I'll be rubbing. Should I just start grinding on the tensioner to make room to pull on the axle or am I missing something with the way this thing works? Seems like maybe the dropouts on the frame just aren't that deep.

This is the part:

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/HU9174

I think I need to grind a flat on the big donut. I already had to grind on the back side of the catch because when it hooks over the drop outs, it rubbed the free wheel.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've had issues with different tensioners. fortunately I have a lbs that carries several in stock. I picked up the new demolition tensioner and it works sooo good. nice and simple. they are cheap so you can afford to experiment a little...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yeah it did only cost $10. I just got a new set of attachments for the dremel. I think I'll just go to town on it...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Then black sharpie the 'machining' for a nice finishing touch ;)

Hadn't even thought of that. Man this site is just a wealth of information :cheers:

Thanks for the replies - I mostly just wanted to know if I was or wasn't a moron for not being able to figure out how to use a big aluminum washer and bolt.