Quantcast

Chain Tensioners for 9speed

fat_sac

Chimp
Jul 22, 2005
Anyone can suggest a cool looking and well designed chain tensioner for a 9 speed with horizantal dropouts? I only have one and it's tearing up my dropouts, and when I pogo real hard the other side shifts forward.

fat_sac

Chimp
Jul 22, 2005
Cash-Money said:
spot brand makes some cool tentioners. why not just run the wheel all the way forward in the dropouts?

Never thought about that. I guess I just wanted to look cool.:cool:

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
The surly tuggnut is the same deal, maybe a little more adjustable. Still, its got the bottle opener that could be used on either dropout.

RobsterCrw

Chimp
May 13, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
I don't understand, if you are running a cassette in the back then you should have a derailleur in the rear so whats all this chain tentioner talk? The derailleur is your tenstioner. Sounds like what you really need is a chain guide.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
RobsterCrw said:
I don't understand, if you are running a cassette in the back then you should have a derailleur in the rear so whats all this chain tentioner talk? The derailleur is your tenstioner. Sounds like what you really need is a chain guide.
There are two types of chain tensioners. One for vertical dropouts used when people convert to SS -- that is what you thinking about -- and the other type is for horzontal drops,especially bmx bikes, where you are running a bolt on axle and are used to keep the axle from slipping forward in the drops.