Quantcast

Chain tensioners for tiny dropouts/ riot frames?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Everything I see seems to be on the larger side of things. Does anyone make a tiny tensioner?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
http://www.danscomp.com/products.php?cat=PARTS&show=ChainTensioners

I have the knight tensioner and it works perfectly on my black betty, which im sure has no bigger drops than the riot. Looks like hoffman makes one that probably works just as well for cheaper. I also have 14mm drops, but i believe you can use a 3/8" to 14mm peg adapter to make a 14mm tensioner work with a 3/8" axle. Hope that made sense..
edit: most track frames have longer drops, so im not sure if those track specific tensioners would be short enough.

Last edited:

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
One of my friends uses the Knight Gumdrops on his Majesty, which has insanely short stays. He has them on all of his bikes, which also speaks to their performance.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
wheel slammers are great but are 14mm only. it might be a little wonky to shim a tensioner. knight tensioners comes in 3/8" which is nice.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
wheel slammers are great but are 14mm only. it might be a little wonky to shim a tensioner. knight tensioners comes in 3/8" which is nice.
i've used Knight tensioner on a few of my bikes, however, when i was just trying to install it on my latest build, the whole thread came out of the knight, making it useless...
i have used it for a few years, but was still a bit shocked at that....

however, i would buy them again.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I bought a Knight gumdrop for my 09 Mob. The Knight 3/8" version is actually too small for my Hadley hub bolts. I would have drilled it out to fit the bolt, but the back piece of the tensioner also didn't fit the width of the dropouts. I think it is designed for 5mm dropout size; I thought the Mob had pretty thin dropouts, but I guess they are 6mm.

I may be selling the 3/8" Gum-drop, if anyone's interested.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
That's what I was looking at Beast. what does the 8mm mean? is that the size wrench used?