Quantcast

Chain tensioners...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I had the cool guy Spot tensioners on my Unit (heehee...) but they dont like to stay tight and have caused issues w/ my older Spot rh. What is anyone using that works?

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
I've got the DMR ones, they work well but keep me from slamming the wheel all the way forward by ~1/4 in or so. I took them out about a week ago, but haven't gotten much time on the bike to see if it slips without them.
The DMR ones definitely stay tight, nylon locknut followed by a cap nut. Doesn't budge a bit.

Nov 7, 2008
ive used redline tensioners on many cruisers, mtb's and fixed gear bikes with no problems. im also not a light rider, 225lbs and anything but smooth.

i have also ran every single speed bike ive owned without chain tensioners and never had the wheel move when the axle nuts are tight. a chain tensioner should just be there to get the wheel straight and chain tension set before you crank down the nuts.

look into getting some 'track nuts' they have a captive serrated washer that will keep just about anything from moving around on you.