Quantcast

Chaingude/Chainring

chance199

Monkey
May 23, 2009
Port Orchard, WA
So im New to DH, im going to race this season and would like to put a new chaingude and chainring, i have a 2 ring so i just want to have a single ring.
i'm thinking about getting this one: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/e13-ls1plus-2010.html
now i know i would need to get a DH ring, but my question is what would be my best bet? and would i need to have any other parts for it? OH! forgot to mention i have a 06 Stinky Deluxe

I have Husselfelt cranks also, i wouldnt need to change those would i?

Last edited:

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
E13's guide ring is one of the best, if not the best, chain ring you can get. You may need to grind down the granny tabs on your crank, but I've not had to in the past. You may also need the BB mount ISCG adaptor if your frame doesn't have the ISCG mounting tab welded on. It should look like this(if you don't know what ISCG tabs are) -

That's about it, really. Just get the guide, chain ring, mount it all up and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

chance199

Monkey
May 23, 2009
Port Orchard, WA
E13's guide ring is one of the best, if not the best, chain ring you can get. You may need to grind down the granny tabs on your crank, but I've not had to in the past.
That's about it, really. Just get the guide, chain ring, mount it all up and you should be good to go.
is there a specific guide you would recommend?

and im not sure off the top of my head if the stinky does.

Last edited:

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I'm using the E13 SRS+ on my current ride and truthfully, unless you're really concerned about weight, most guides will do the job. The LS1+ you've linked to, seems like a real good, value for money option.

Last edited:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
The e.13 guide rings are designed to set up perfect with chainguides, and will give you the proper alignment you need - and no unnecessary shifting ramp that is on your existing 2 ring setup. They are super lightweight, and thats fine because your bashguard will take the abuse.

Your going to need to cut the granny ring tabs off your cranks to get proper alignment. A hacksaw and a file does the trick.

Can't remember if that frame has ISCG mounts on it (or ISCG05?), so make sure you get a guide with the right backplate.

Give the guys at the e.13 office a call if you have any questions, they are super helpful. 978.537.9313

Also on your Stinky, for racing DH, you may want to try unbolting and flipping your upper suspension links upside down. This trick with lower and slacken your bike and turns those things into pretty sick little DH race bikes!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Im partial to e13 guides. Not overly a fan of the L series, but def like the SrS. By far my favorite of guides. Love the look, love the ease of setup, love the consistancy.

I like e13 guide rings, they work great.....Most any non ramped ring will work fine though, just need to match up the spacing and life is good.

As far as removing the granny tabs, instead of grinding, use a drill. Much faster and cleaner

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
any help would be appreciated,
As luck would have it, I've tested the last 2 generations of prototype LS1+'s on my 06 Stinky Deluxe.

The guide fits up with a BB mount adapter, and I believe I had it with the adapter on the inside, and a 2.5mm BB spacer outside of that. The guide performs just as well as the LG1+, and the taco mount interface is bombproof (I never bent or broke the backplate mounting interface or taco).

The LS1+ or SS+ are tough to beat.

ALSO, I would recommend not flipping your linkages...I believe that it (along with soft suspension) led to their early demise. The 07 linkages are compatible, and they have an additional crossbar that really tightens up the back end in the hard corners.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Prototype picture from maybe 4 weeks ago:

Attachments

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Im running the LG1+ and the E13 DH chainring. I don't really think you can beat that set up. Works flawlessly easy to align and set up. The LG1+ is huge improvement over the LG1. Props E13. My vote would be the LG1+ with the DH chainring. Can't be beat.

chance199

Monkey
May 23, 2009
Port Orchard, WA
As luck would have it, I've tested the last 2 generations of prototype LS1+'s on my 06 Stinky Deluxe.

The guide fits up with a BB mount adapter, and I believe I had it with the adapter on the inside, and a 2.5mm BB spacer outside of that. The guide performs just as well as the LG1+, and the taco mount interface is bombproof (I never bent or broke the backplate mounting interface or taco).

ALSO, I would recommend not flipping your linkages...I believe that it (along with soft suspension) led to their early demise. The 07 linkages are compatible, and they have an additional crossbar that really tightens up the back end in the hard corners.

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Now, the prototype pictured: is that new LS1+?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Philip,

I'm quite interested in these new steel guides, particularly as I would imagine they are less likely to snap if you bent the backplate somehow and had to bend it back? The weight also seems very reasonable. I just had a few of questions though:

1) Could you clarify the chainring capacity of the SS+ guide? On your site it says 32-34T, other sources say 32-36T. I'm planning on running a 36T ring so help with that would be great.
2) Is the only area of adjustability that the SS+ lacks over the SRS+ the ability to adjust the angle of the lower roller?
3) Have these guides shipped to the UK yet? Chainreaction only have the limited edition red SS+ listed at the moment.

Cheers

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Philip,

I'm quite interested in these new steel guides, particularly as I would imagine they are less likely to snap if you bent the backplate somehow and had to bend it back? The weight also seems very reasonable. I just had a few of questions though:

1) Could you clarify the chainring capacity of the SS+ guide? On your site it says 32-34T, other sources say 32-36T. I'm planning on running a 36T ring so help with that would be great.
2) Is the only area of adjustability that the SS+ lacks over the SRS+ the ability to adjust the angle of the lower roller?
3) Have these guides shipped to the UK yet? Chainreaction only have the limited edition red SS+ listed at the moment.

Cheers
1. The SS+ fits up to a 36T. It is ISCG-05 only (or for use with a BB mount adapter...included).
2. The SS+ is also not angle adjustable (vs. the SRS+). The Backplate is designed so that it will clear most slightly dropped chainstay rigs. I don't think it will fit some of the VPP2 rigs with super dropped chainstays.
3. I believe that the Red Rocket SS+'s were the only ones sent over so far, regular colors are going out soon.

-philip

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
1. The SS+ fits up to a 36T. It is ISCG-05 only (or for use with a BB mount adapter...included).
2. The SS+ is also not angle adjustable (vs. the SRS+). The Backplate is designed so that it will clear most slightly dropped chainstay rigs. I don't think it will fit some of the VPP2 rigs with super dropped chainstays.
3. I believe that the Red Rocket SS+'s were the only ones sent over so far, regular colors are going out soon.

-philip
Philip,

Thanks for answering those questions. Just one other thing, the guide would be going on an 09 Sunday and I don't know if you'd say that had 'super dropped chainstays'? Do you know if the guide will fit or have you tried it without success?

Cheers