Quantcast

Chainguide advice

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I'm really more of an agressive XC rider, not so much "freeriding," but figured this was the place for a question about chainguides.

I ride a Chameleon w/ Sherman Firefly and a 1x8 drivetrain (standard BB, five arm/compact crank). I have no interest in running 2 rings as 32x32 is low enough for me.

So, ridemonkeys, what chain guide will best keep my chain on, without adding too much drag and weight? I've looked into the E13 STS and the MRP MiniMe. Any others I should be looking at?

Thanks.
Matt

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Yeah, I'm expecting a flood of E13 praise.

As for MRP, does the chain rub the inner plate when riding in the largest cog? That's my biggest concern with the two plate systems.

I've read a ton of threads on here and Pinkbike and reviews on mtbr, I'm just looking for any more information specific to a 1x8 or 1x9 set up on a hardtail.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
The rubbing is more a factor of the chainline than the guide. On my bullit I am running a 1x9 and have not had any problems with run, and neither does my friend running the same set up. The MRP on his .243 rubbed some, but then again so does the E13 on my brother's bullit.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i just threw the srs on my IH hardtail running 1x8 with 32 up front. ill probably be switching to 34 soon . no probs at all.

it think the mrp is lighter though

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Half a pound lighter? Christ, I didn't think they weighed more than a half pound to begin with.

The Gammut is out anyway, since I need 5 arm compact, and their website only lists standard.

I don't really need a super beefy bashring, just a good chain guide. I like the way the E13 looks better, but if the MRP is lighter...

Thanks for all the input so far!

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I think the e13 has less hardware if i remember right.

My MRP is locktited alot because the stationary inner plate model with set screws & inner screws you can't see.. Blue locktite is GOOD..
Sometimes you simply have to grind the e13 bashguard to clear the cranks & don't overtighten the lockbolts or it will CRACK.
MRP plates do warp & that's the downside right there !!!

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I actually remember one of the Gamut owners telling me to ask my friends who have 5 arm compact cranks, because they have some guides for those around.

Email them. It's a great guide. I switched over from a e13 and the performance is comparable though the Gamut is a ton lighter. And cooler.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I did email Gamut and they have the G45 in compact, but that only allows a minimum 36t ring. I need to run a 32t.

It's looking like the E13 STS is my best option.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
punk said:
I did email Gamut and they have the G45 in compact, but that only allows a minimum 36t ring. I need to run a 32t.

It's looking like the E13 STS is my best option.
spam! spam! i just happen to have a slightly used one kicking around (5-94)...

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
punk said:
I did email Gamut and they have the G45 in compact, but that only allows a minimum 36t ring. I need to run a 32t. It's looking like the E13 STS is my best option.
I run an E.13 STS on my "trail-bike" and I would not own a different guide. They are quite, durable, lightweight, and are virtaully maintanence-free. I bought it simply because it fit far better and far easier than an MRP, and I believe they are cheaper than MRP. Either way, they are both good guides.