Quantcast

Chainguide recommendations

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
What's everyone using these days? I bent the heck out of the LG1 on my previous generation Scott Gambler yesterday and was debating trying something without the lower roller wheel. I haven't had any issues with chain retention with the LG1, but I've gone through a couple of pulleys and generally wouldn't mind getting rid of the added complexity and drag of that setup.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
if you don't want a lower roller, OneUp makes a nice upper guide + bash.
My Mega came with the MRP AMG V2 guide bash combo which has worked really well despite some horrible hits (bent the iscg bolts)

1655846606516.png

Just saw Nukeproof does their own one as well for a really decent price.

1655846590679.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Those should work even better on a DH bike if you're also running a NW ring, clutch mech and small range cassette. Especially so if you run 7spd dh cassettes, as short a chain as you can and have good chainline.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My wife cracked her guide this weekend (she actually managed to break her upper guide and crack her bashguard in two separate incidents) and is in need of a new one.

It was an old as heck e13 that probably came stock on her bike (got it used), a 2011 DHR. Currently running a 10speed cassette with an X9 derailler with a clutch.

in an effort to avoid buying an entirely new drivetrain for a decade old bike that she uses for about 10% of her riding max, I'm thinking just a new e13 guide with a lower roller? Or is the new 7 speed stuff that much nicer that I should get that and get a guide without a lower roller?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My Commie Supreme mullet has an LG1 (I think) which still has a lower roller with it's 7 speed drivetrain.

If this is for an old bike, just look see what someone is selling on PB. I always had a Straitline Silentguide on my DHR.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Those should work even better on a DH bike if you're also running a NW ring, clutch mech and small range cassette. Especially so if you run 7spd dh cassettes, as short a chain as you can and have good chainline.
agreed. i wouldn't recommend a guide without the lower roller unless you're running a clutch derailleur.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry, to be clear, the derailler has a clutch, but it's old, shitty, and generally not that good. And it's 10 speed, with a fairly wide range so unless I get a new narrow range + short chain, it sounds like no lower roller isn't really in the cards.

Guess it's back to the ole LG1, which will work perfectly right up until chain lube touches it and makes the plastic fall apart in days.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I've been running a v1 One Up bash guide on 2 different bikes and it's into its 7th, maybe even 8th, season, I think...really has exceeded my expectations. It's taken some heavy hits this season and I keep expecting to break the bash portion, but, keeps on going!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've been running a v1 One Up bash guide on 2 different bikes and it's into its 7th, maybe even 8th, season, I think...really has exceeded my expectations. It's taken some heavy hits this season and I keep expecting to break the bash portion, but, keeps on going!
Honestly, my wife is 125lbs soaking wet and barely clearing the jumps on crank it up. I'm not super concerned about hard hits and strength, so much as something to keep the chain on and paying lip service to a bashguard because the DHR she's on has a pretty damn low BB and she bonks it a lot rolling stuff she should be dropping off of.

That said, I'm thinking about a new guide for my bike for different reasons, so that's good to know!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
MRP SXg works great on my 2 pedal'y bikes. MRP G2 on the DH bike. Neve had any issue with any of them.