Quantcast

Chainlove: Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Foldable

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
On sale for $33 currently which is the best price I've seen in a while. I am very impressed by these tires and just picked up three more for my trail and jumping bikes and Wifey's bike.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i´ve noticed the price for maxxis tires in the US with horror.

Peru street prices:

Maxxis Minion/High Roller 2.5 Supertacky = $17
Maxxis Minion/High Roller 2.5 3C= $28

while everything bike-related is usually much cheaper up north, why are the tires so expensive in the US???

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On sale for $33 currently which is the best price I've seen in a while. I am very impressed by these tires and just picked up three more for my trail and jumping bikes and Wifey's bike.
just saw it, i'm tempted by it, but i run the smaller sizes. might be worth giving the larger sizes a shot. i do love these tires.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

Peru street prices:

while everything bike-related is usually much cheaper up north, why are the tires so expensive in the US???
supply and demand.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco

Peru street prices:

Kind of like how you can get Oakley sunglasses for $10 some places.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I had some Ignitors and never really got along with them. These advantages truly better? My nevegals are starting to irritate me...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
After what I saw at the FTF XC race I'll never run Maxxis again. I counted dozens of flats up there...90% Maxxis. I love their tread patterns but their performance in the Ozarks was absurd.
In almost 5 years I never had a flat on a Maxxis until I burped a UST because my pressure was too low. I've since had a few as I re-learn pressures, but that's user error. I've had more issues with Kenda, Conti, and Schwalbe than anything else.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
just got one for the rear on my xc/mini DH bike and am pretty darned impressed by it. goes well with a high roller front for sure.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
like i said before, user error. buncha muppets that don't know how to run proper PSI's
I'm not sold on that idea, maybe some, but not all. I just don't think that MAXXIS tires are as good for being run tubeless as some others. Sure you can run high pressure, 35+, but then you lose half the benefit of going tubeless IMO.

I did that race with 27 PSI in my AKAs, no issues. And that's a 650 gram 29er tire.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not sold on that idea, maybe some, but not all. I just don't think that MAXXIS tires are as good for being run tubeless as some others. Sure you can run high pressure, 35+, but then you lose half the benefit of going tubeless IMO.

I did that race with 27 PSI in my AKAs, no issues. And that's a 650 gram 29er tire.
part of racing is also being prepared for trail conditions. if you're racing on sharp point shale, you're gonna need a few extra psi regardless of the name on the side of the tire.

ps on my trail bike, i have to run at least 35 psi, i'm a pretty big guy (just over 200lbs with gear) and anything gives me a ton of rolling resistance

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
part of racing is also being prepared for trail conditions. if you're racing on sharp point shale, you're gonna need a few extra psi regardless of the name on the side of the tire.

ps on my trail bike, i have to run at least 35 psi, i'm a pretty big guy (just over 200lbs with gear) and anything gives me a ton of rolling resistance
Tubed or tubeless I have always run minimum 32psi for DH and higher for trail or XC. User error.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma

My point was that I ran 27 PSI... which, for me, was no extra pressure and I was riding on the same stuff that killed all those Ignotors, Ikons and Crossmarks.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
granted, maxxis single plys are known to be thinner than others, but its nothing a few extra psi can't fix.
That's the boat I'm in....however, being a bigger guy (240lbs), the higher pressures needed to run single-ply tires without constantly flatting translates to sidewalls more prone to slicing/tearing. It's a fine line.

That and I swear Maxxis' eXCeption casing uses latex condoms as sidewall material.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My point was that I ran 27 PSI... which, for me, was no extra pressure and I was riding on the same stuff that killed all those Ignotors, Ikons and Crossmarks.
How many of those guys are roadies first? Didn't you used to race DH at one point?

*nevermind, I was thinking of TJ

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Not assuming anything... wether they did or not, there were still Maxxis tires failing left and right.
Maybe you only saw them because you were just catching up to the people on Maxxis tires? God only knows what was going on behind you.