Quantcast

Chainring recommendations?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
So I think I need to get a couple chainrings. And I'm not too terribly picky. I have Shirtmano now and they work fine other than the fact that they're getting worn out. Should I just go for some replacement Shimanos or are there other things that people like out there?

Oh - and cost *is* a consideration, so no need to recommend some crazy bling-bling rings. This is for an older ('01) pair of XT cranks.

TIA.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
There have been some reported skipping issues with shimano middle rings recently plus they are notoriously soft and wear quickly.* I use raceface rings and have some blackspire ring waiting to try out soon.

*I am not a shimano hater as all my bikes, except the SS, have shimano drivetrains.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
SkaredShtles said:
So I think I need to get a couple chainrings. And I'm not too terribly picky. I have Shirtmano now and they work fine other than the fact that they're getting worn out. Should I just go for some replacement Shimanos or are there other things that people like out there?

Oh - and cost *is* a consideration, so no need to recommend some crazy bling-bling rings. This is for an older ('01) pair of XT cranks.

TIA.
Go to Walmart, buy the high-end Next for 49.99 and use those...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
SS. If not shimano, Engagement rings or Salsa rings (all stocked by quality bike parts) are fine and are relatively cheap. I will tell you though that if you change one part of your drive train after significant wear and using a chain till it is completely spent, YOU WILL have problems with skipping. You have probably heard this before, but I will say it anyways, as the chain stretches it wears the gears both front and rear. If you notice the wear on the front chainring (where most people can SEE it) chances are your rear cassette is bunk also. A lot of times you cant see that it is, but if put a new chain on, and new front chainrings on, you will usually get that chain skipping across that rear cassette. My advice (and you aren't going to like it) is to invest in a whole new drive train. Chainrings, chain, and cassette. The last thing you want to do is stand up on the pedals to push it up a climb and have that chain slip. It won't be a kick to the nuts, but the toptube, or stem sure feels like it sometimes.

PM me if you cant get a deal on something at your LBS or online, I will see what I have around or what I can get for you from the shop.

J

JRB

Take your pick of raceface, shimano, or salsa. Salsas are not ramped though. I would go with raceface personally.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
not sure if they make 'em for XT but I've had the best luck with Black Spire rings. They do stainless little rings for some bcd's.
I have a set of Boone Ti rings for my XTR cranks that I'll be installing soon so no review on those yet other than they look cool. Hoping they wear better than the soft stuff Shimano makes theirs out of.
Don't really care about the bling factor. Just hoping to not have to change chain rings twice a year. Plus, they're nearly the same price as Shimano rings.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
brungeman said:
SS. If not shimano, Engagement rings or Salsa rings (all stocked by quality bike parts) are fine and are relatively cheap. I will tell you though that if you change one part of your drive train after significant wear and using a chain till it is completely spent, YOU WILL have problems with skipping. You have probably heard this before, but I will say it anyways, as the chain stretches it wears the gears both front and rear. If you notice the wear on the front chainring (where most people can SEE it) chances are your rear cassette is bunk also. A lot of times you cant see that it is, but if put a new chain on, and new front chainrings on, you will usually get that chain skipping across that rear cassette. My advice (and you aren't going to like it) is to invest in a whole new drive train. Chainrings, chain, and cassette. The last thing you want to do is stand up on the pedals to push it up a climb and have that chain slip. It won't be a kick to the nuts, but the toptube, or stem sure feels like it sometimes.
Thanks for the advice, but I change my chain yearly (in fact, I just did). I can see the wear on the chainrings, so I'm going to swap 'em out. I'll probably only swap out the middle & little since those are the only ones that jump occasionally now. I tend to ride my chainrings a bit too long. Just ask morryjg. :D

PM me if you cant get a deal on something at your LBS or online, I will see what I have around or what I can get for you from the shop.
I'll let you know, mate! :thumb:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
SkaredShtles said:
Thanks for the advice, but I change my chain yearly (in fact, I just did). I can see the wear on the chainrings, so I'm going to swap 'em out. I'll probably only swap out the middle & little since those are the only ones that jump occasionally now. I tend to ride my chainrings a bit too long. Just ask morryjg. :D

I'll let you know, mate! :thumb:
good that you change the chain that is super important to drive train longevity! (because I get shop discounts on stuff, I tend to go crazy and change it pretty often.) I usually have 2 chains that I clean and lube and have them waiting for a quick swap out.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
brungeman said:
good that you change the chain that is super important to drive train longevity! (because I get shop discounts on stuff, I tend to go crazy and change it pretty often.) I usually have 2 chains that I clean and lube and have them waiting for a quick swap out.
You're so good. :D I just swap in a new chain once a year whether it needs it or not. I never clean my chain. :eek:

Of course, it never rains out here and we never ride in mud. :thumb:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yet another vote for blackspire as well. they just last a long time. and shift wonderfully.

though you can find the whole set of Raceface Deus XC chain rings for cheap on some of the online bike shops