Quantcast

Chainring size recommendation

Starkweather

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
CA
Can anyone recommend a chainring size for me? I'll be using it on a Planet X Bommer for dirt jumping and (less then 30MPH) slalom. I'd like to still be able to wheelie drop from a dead stop, too. I think if I go with a 34 tooth sprocket and a 11-34 (maybe 32) cogset I'll be in good shape. This is really important because if i need a larger chainring, then I'll have to get a Slalom 1 (36-40) instead of a MiniMe-sized (30-34) MRP. Thanks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think a 34 would be fine. (this is really just a bump, since I'm clueless on jumping generally, but I have run anywhere from 32 -- too small -- to 36, which was just about right.)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by Toshi
I think a 34 would be fine. (this is really just a bump, since I'm clueless on jumping generally, but I have run anywhere from 32 -- too small -- to 36, which was just about right.)

Yeah, I use a 32 and it's cool.
34 would b great.

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
I had roughly the same question for my new chainwheel. I'm switching guides and getting a new wheel. I run a 36 with a 11-32 now and that seems great for urban/street (which is all I do).

I am wondering if I should go up to a 38 chainwheel though.... (with the 11-32)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's another data point, a month later:

i am running a 36t ring with a 12-25 cassette with the two largest cogs locked out, and have no complaints with the gearing at all. running a road cassette and derailleur makes it easier to find a sweet-feeling gear, with the smaller gaps and all

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
I run a 38 tooth and i like the range it gives me. BUT the 38 does not put me in an optimal chainline during a lot of circumstances. You should look at the type of gear range you want, and look at where that puts you on your casette.

thats just me though.

b

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
Well, I have a 36 now and I will try a 38 and see what happens.

What did you mean by "certain circumstances"?

I am in NYC and only ride urban, I should be ok in the street with a 38 / 11-32?

I run the 36 now and I feel I could use a little more power when my speed gets up (instead of feeling like I'm taking a spinning class)...

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I have run a MRP Mini-me w/ 34t on a PX Bommer. One problem you will run into is that the Mini-me only comes as a system 1 guide ( the one where both plates rotate). Unless you are using a really wide chainline that inner plate won't fit (hits the chainstay). Other than that I ran it w/ 12-28 in the back and worked out good.

J

RUYORK

Chimp
Nov 13, 2002
Hell's Kitchen NYC
I'm having a lot of adjustment problems with my new cogset. I think it's just me but I hate having it professionally done (I like to do it myself but it's a pain).

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Jumping really isn't about pedaling except if you have no roll in, or if your jumps are abnormally slow. Yeah, 34 should do it fine.