Quantcast

Chainrings are they 8 and 9 speed specific?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
finally getting around to building up Stosh's GF's old Kona for my son Liam, but I'll need two chainrings for an 8 speed set up.

Are chainrings - 8 or 9 speed specific like cassettes are?? :think: :help:

J

JRB

A lot of true 8 speed rings suck with a 9 speed chain. I had some issues on the mountain bike with some Real rings. I put one on the same chain on the road bike, and it works fine.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
This would be a full 8 speed set up with 8 speed SRAM 9.0 gripshifters, SRam 9.0 rear derailleur and an 8 speed cassette. I have some Shimano Deore cranks - 4 bolters - and I need two chainrings for it. Going to run it with two rings and a bashguard to keep things a little more simple for Liam.

if anyone has any 8 speed rings that would work that would like to help out, let me know. I was thinking I'd need a 32 and a 22 or something along those lines.

Thanks.

Mark

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've never had a problem with 9-speed rings on an 8-speed setup. If you think about it, 9-speed rings are thinner to accomodate the thinner chain required by the 9-speed cassette. An 8-speed chain running on the thinner rings should be fine, especially on a kid's bike.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
9 speed rings should work fine with an 8 speed chain. The problem is when you try to run the narrow 9 speed chain on wide 8 speed rings.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Hey! I've got just what you need. XT, 104mm, 4 bolt, 22t-32t-44t. They are Mega 9, but I only ever used them with 8 spd so they definitely work. PM me your shipping info and I'll get them sent out if you want them.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Sorgie said:
Hey! I've got just what you need. XT, 104mm, 4 bolt, 22t-32t-44t. They are Mega 9, but I only ever used them with 8 spd so they definitely work. PM me your shipping info and I'll get them sent out if you want them.
PM sent!