Quantcast

chainrings for 2x10??

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I've been having trouble with throwing my chain/chain skipping when hammering out of corners on my giant reign with a 2x10 setup..

brand new chain and a freshly dialed in x9 rear derailleur and an slx front with gamut bashring...

always throws it to the inside and gets stuck between the little ring and the maestro link..its not very confidence inspiring to come out of a switchback going hard on the pedals and have it skip..then having to spend a few minutes wrestling it back on..

my next step would be getting new chainrings..any recommendations?? looks like raceface has a xx1 style ring but think its only for a single..anybody else make a fancy chainring with improved chain retention that shifts?? (guess you cant have both)

i've never had a bike without a chainguide before so I'm not sure if this is something I have to deal with having the gearing to get to the top...id go 1x10 but I need the granny for most of the climbs and I need at least a 36t on the way down and i cant afford xx1

Last edited:

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
I run a 22-36 rings in the on the front paired with a 11-34 on the rear. I just use slx level chain rings as the are cheap and I can get them in the sizes I want.
Look at your front dir, I run mine as close as I can without fouling the chainrings and keep my chain as short as I can with blowing the rear mech up.
Seems to hold on fine but then I also try to keep the chain on the larger rings front and rear when smashing through lumpy stuff