Quantcast

Chainrings

J

JRB

I got me some RF Turbine arms from a guy and had to get new rings since they are 94mm BCD. Anyhow, I got some Real rings on the cheap from Cambria. Got a Salsa granny. Here's the poop. Middle to 34t in the back growls like mad. 3 down it stops. I have adjusted the bottom bracket to compensate and it does no good. Is it because the ring is new? New XTR chain and new rings. FYI - this Real ring shifts like sh*t. I think I will order a RF middle ring and be out the $16 this ring cost. It chain sucks like mad too going to granny. I hope it wears and runs right.

Oh and good morning.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
How many speeds is your bike and what speeds are the chainrings are made for? It sounds like you might be running eight speed rings on a nine speed driveterrian. Running a narrow nine speed chain will cause the chain to hang up on the thicker eight speed ring thus causing your chain suck. Hope this helps.

J

JRB

Carbon Fetish said:
How many speeds is your bike and what speeds are the chainrings are made for? It sounds like you might be running eight speed rings on a nine speed driveterrian. Running a narrow nine speed chain will cause the chain to hang up on the thicker eight speed ring thus causing your chain suck. Hope this helps.

It is 9 speed drive train. I thought about that last night that they may be 8 speed rings. Bummer. They are Real who is out of business.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
How old is the rest of your drivetrain? I'm sure you know this, but putting new parts on a used drivetrain almost NEVER works...

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
at the risk of this resembling an MTBR thread, I've got the same prob. just upgraded my Chainrings and have successfully chewed through 2 chains so far. Gonna try an SRAM chain and the file the ring a bit.

J

JRB

Echo said:
How old is the rest of your drivetrain? I'm sure you know this, but putting new parts on a used drivetrain almost NEVER works...

Cassette is in good shape and the chain is brand new. I am put the old chain back on until I get a new ring. I am not going to screw with it. Ruining a $20 chain in a few days is not worth losing $16 on the ring and buying a new one.

Wumpus - did you say you have a 5 arm RF ring 94BCD??? Middle that is.

J

JRB

loco-gringo said:
Wumpus - did you say you have a 5 arm RF ring 94BCD??? Middle that is.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO - McFly???? Well do you????

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
golgiaparatus said:
Real is out of business for a reason. Their parts are all POS, except their front hubs. I still use a Real front hub because its so damn light. My rear hub however was nothing but trouble even when it was new.

real was brought back by the holding company that owns litespeed. they are making some pretty damn light carbon rimmed road wheels and some other stuff.

i'll agree with you on their hubs, my rear one was a POS!!!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco-gringo said:
HELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO - McFly???? Well do you????
Nope, I have a hardly used 42t Shimano.

There is the one on the Banshee that isn't going to be used for a while. How f'in long can it take Romic to ship a spring and go-ride was out of dhx's--3 weeks? :mumble:

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Nope, I have a hardly used 42t Shimano.

There is the one on the Banshee that isn't going to be used for a while. How f'in long can it take Romic to ship a spring and go-ride was out of dhx's--3 weeks? :mumble:

I guess that means you aren't going to Kerrville. Do you really want a DHX? Call Stinky. We'll go to SA on Saturday.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco-gringo said:
I guess that means you aren't going to Kerrville. Do you really want a DHX? Call Stinky. We'll go to SA on Saturday.
No.

Yep, going to give one a try.

Grandma is coming to visit this weekend.

It's not like I don't have a bike to ride. I shall just be patient. I may even go on a road ride this weekend.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Went to p/u and new SRAM chain last night and talked to the shoppie about my Chainring Problem. His opinion was that RF chainrings were crap and that is what was eating my chains. He told me to go back to Shimano Rings :think:
I like RF stuff and don't think that's it. Anyone else care to chime in here.....

-tanks

J

JRB

DVNT said:
Went to p/u and new SRAM chain last night and talked to the shoppie about my Chainring Problem. His opinion was that RF chainrings were crap and that is what was eating my chains. He told me to go back to Shimano Rings :think:
I like RF stuff and don't think that's it. Anyone else care to chime in here.....

-tanks

I'll chime in with RF rings are not crap, but I think SRAM chains are. That is my opinion and others will disagree. As thread creator, I will take this oppurtunity to brag on Shimano chains. The new ones that is.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have been using RF rings for a while and don't break chains. I know a lot of folks that use them with no problems.

Most chain issues come from forced shifting under load, dirty or unlubed chains, and worn rings and cogs.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah, I like RF stuff. I upgraded my drive system, new cassette, chain, chain rings, front der. and shifters. I've busted my shimano chain 3 times already and finally just tossed it. The shoppie blamed the RF chainring for twisting the links and suggested getting rid of RF chainring and go all shimano.

Taking that advice I'm gonna give SRAM a chance instead, and keep my RF stuff. I'd like to get their X-type cranks eventually.