Quantcast

Chains?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i recently bought a new drivetrain, cranks sprocket cog pedals, along with many other parts for new bikes face lift. I need a 1/8th chain and have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to chains, im looking for something thats light, but will gladly sacrifice weight for strength as i wont be running a bash and like to do pedal stalls and often miss abubicas and fuf's. Ive heard good and terrible things about half link chains but im kind of interested in them just because of the look they have.

so whats out there that i should consider and wont have problems with broken links?

Jan 29, 2005
don't spend more than 15$ on a chain, any weight difference with light chains is negligible. KMC in the yellow box is my favorite chain, all of 11$ msrp i believe.

Edit: also, i despise half-link chains. I find they break far more often than traditional chains. Having a bend in you plates just seems like a weak idea...

duck

Monkey
Apr 8, 2007
Cranbrook BC
I just threw on a Mack BMX halflink chain, it's made by YBN.

It's just a cheep one at $20 and it went on easy enough.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
don't spend more than 15$ on a chain, any weight difference with light chains is negligible. KMC in the yellow box is my favorite chain, all of 11$ msrp i believe.
I agree completely. Another advantage of this thinking, is that when it comes time to replace the chain (should be often, broken chains SUCK) it won't hurt so bad. You buy a spendy chain, and you will be loathe to replace it in a timely fashion.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
word on the k710SL. Big chain, light weight, nice price, and nice functioning master-link too.

I've also got a cheap "YBN" chain too, but just a reg. 1/8" chain, not full half-link. It was lighter and cheaper than the 710SL, but I've still yet to see if it holds up just as good in the long run.

Shadow is overpriced and overweight, and does the exact same job as one half-link.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
best chain ive used for ss has been the 510hx from kmc. sub 20 bucks but way better than a 410h

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I'm just curious, are all of Leaf cycles products simply relabeled from other manufacturers and at higher prices? Just about seems that way from what I've seen, although I do like a few of their things, like the front hub...

I don't really believe there are any advantages to running a full half-link chain. At least not any more than simply running one single half-link on a regular chain (which is what I prefer now after about two seasons on a full half-link chain). The half-link will help you dial in your chainstay length in ~1/4" increments I think (1/2"?), instead of twice the length of adjustment when you have to pull a full link out of your chain, or on the other hand, have to leave one in, resulting in longer effective stays. But depending on your gear ratio and stay length, you may not need a half-link.
Seems more like a short lived trend actually...

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I dove into the full 1/2 link chain idea as well. But after swapping out to the 710sl, I really like it much better. I had a hell of a time with chain stretch on the Shadow V2. Now that it is all stretched, I should sell it.

I ended up using one 1/2 link from the shadow on the 710sl. When i went to a 24t from a 22t up front, I needed the half-link. I could not get the proper setting without the 1/2 link. It was either the axle nuts were hanging off or I had to dremel the stays. :twitch:. In the end it worked out great.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i have been running a pretty cheap chain from the shop...hopefully it doesnt snap and rack my junk off the stem, that woudl ruin my day

Pesling

Chimp
Dec 7, 2007
Germany
I'm just curious, are all of Leaf cycles products simply relabeled from other manufacturers and at higher prices? Just about seems that way from what I've seen, although I do like a few of their things, like the front hub...

Leaf made a lot of own stuff, but still some relabeled, but the prices are lower than similar products. A real good brand - i really love their stuff! Check out: http://www.leafcycles.eu

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
everyone here seems to focus on the weight. while the 710sl is a nice chain, it will quickly turn to trash if you start hitting it with some grinds or stalls...
Ya you have a point, if I did I would run the kool chain.
I just don't ever grind and the 23t always clears the coping when I disaster. Just started working on that Friday night.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
But if you don't grind, it is oh so nice of a chain. Light, durable and a nice finish.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Leaf made a lot of own stuff, but still some relabeled, but the prices are lower than similar products. A real good brand - i really love their stuff! Check out: http://www.leafcycles.eu
They copied wellgo MG-1s pedal, its like exactly the same, and their symbol seat is the exact same as the Demolition D1, cause my friend got it and I have it, only difference is the logo. But I realluy like their grips.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
their chains like everyones is made by ybn (think them and kmc are the ONLY companies that actually make chains), front hub is a relabeled ns i believe (probably some Taiwanese catalog piece) , stem is completely off the shelf generic, pedals as stated are welgo mg1's and the others are another generic welgo pedal that a few companies sell relabeled, lock on's look exactly like ruffian bmx's w/ a few changes, posts (as all pivotal ones are) are generic made by one company in japan and relabeled and sold as stump or reg, rims look very bombshellish too me esp the same color blue, freewheels and cogs are generic as hell- no company would take the time to make their own freewheel when the standard is set and cannot be upgraded. that said their frames look sweet and i like the colors they do.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
I ended up using one 1/2 link from the shadow on the 710sl. When i went to a 24t from a 22t up front, I needed the half-link. I could not get the proper setting without the 1/2 link. It was either the axle nuts were hanging off or I had to dremel the stays. :twitch:. In the end it worked out great.
Anyone else do this? And how has it been since you've started using it? It sounds like an interesting way to use my shadow once I get a new chain ;) the chainstretch on the shadow is rediculous... I had it perfect tension (mind you this is after a few months of it being on ANOTHER bike) and after only three hours of riding, it was incredibly slack. Can't be my drops, they're vertical ;)

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Yhe V2 chain stretched out for like 4-5 rides. Then it was perfect - no more stretching.

As far as using the one link, I only have 1 day on it since the chainring swap. The 710 did actually stretch a tiny bit when I rode on Saturday as it was the first real ride that I put some torque into it. I had about 4 rides on it (with the 22) at a different park where I barely pedal. Then Saturday hit a new wide open indoor park and I cranked my arse off. Time will tell.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Thats awesome... I'll be running my half-link for a little while until I can scrounge up the money to get the 710sl (it sucks working at your LBS in the winter... I don't get any hours!)

Hopefully I'll have my bike ready to ride by the 22nd... I want to get on it some before I make the trip up to rays the following weekend.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Kinda a dumb question but can you put half links on a regular 8 speed chain. I try to spend as little money as possible on the jump bike.
yeah, you probably can. They do make 3/32" half-links... but matching up plate thickness and pin length isn't always exact so there may be some minor complications in what combination you use...

But, like A Grove said, I wouldn't recommend using any multi-speed chain for an SS set-up. It's not necessarily that they can break easier in the higher stress situation, it's more that they are all wobbly and flex like a snake side to side, which is NOT what you want on an SS set-up, it can derail your chain more often than not resulting in teeth on the stem. :twitch: