Quantcast

Chains

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
Ok, so I know that the Rohloff SLT-99 is like the ultimate trials chain, but I was wondering what other chains are worthy of use. I have had bad luck with shimano chains and good luck with the Sram PC-69. Any other good chains out there that aren't as expensive or hard to get as the Rohloff?

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by madbiker
Ok, so I know that the Rohloff SLT-99 is like the ultimate trials chain, but I was wondering what other chains are worthy of use. I have had bad luck with shimano chains and good luck with the Sram PC-69. Any other good chains out there that aren't as expensive or hard to get as the Rohloff?
I would recommend the SRAM chain lineup. PC-58 for eight speed (which I would highly recommend eight speed for trials riding) or PC-69 for nine speed.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
Now you've got me pondering the Dura-Ace 8spd cassette, RX600 short-cage 8spd rear mech, and XT 8spd shifter we have sitting at the shop... hmm... :) I think we have a PC-58 in stock, as well.

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
Isn't the Rohloff Trials version 8-spd anyway? It seems like 8-speed is better for every kind of riding anyway. Get rid of 9-spd!;)

regder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2001
I've had really good luck with the Sram chains. Just a word of advice, if you are hard on your chains you'll want to ditch the powerlink before you install it. They almost always break long before the rest of the chain is due for replacement.

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
Originally posted by regder
I've had really good luck with the Sram chains. Just a word of advice, if you are hard on your chains you'll want to ditch the powerlink before you install it. They almost always break long before the rest of the chain is due for replacement.
That's weird, cuz the shops guys and I never break chains at the powerlink, we always break em elsewhere and then put in another powerlink. Question- The powerlink isn't 'press fit' like the other links. The plates are the same thickness, but the pin is attached on one side to the plate. So wouldn't the powerlink be the strongest link in your chain?

regder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2001
here's how my history goes. The Powerlink on my PC68 went bust about two/three months after I got it. Chain was still within stretch levels so I tossed it back on sans powerlink. Hasn't broken since (about four months later) and it is way passed the limit at this point.

Every other rider that I know has busted the Powerlink before the rest of the chain was due for replacement. I know of some people that don't even bother with the powerlink anymore, just run the chain without.

I figure they are more prone to breaking since there is considerable less metal at the powerlink to allow for it to work. And if I'm not mistaken, the non open ends of the powerlink are also pressfit. What could be happenening to you is that the chain is pulling apart as a result of a bad installation. Check if the pin at the broken link is turned at all compared to the rest of the chain.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I've never busted a powerlink...but I'm on front-derailleur equipped bikes, and always bust chains shifting under load, never from simple tension. Maybe that's the diff...the link breaks from excess load, the chain from lateral pressure?

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
So I am thinking that a powerlink wouldn't be as strong lateraly (can't flex as much as a regular link) but would be stronger when getting pulled. I don't know if you follow, but i would think that crosschaining would do more damage to a powerlink than say, pedal-kicking or other similar stresses..... just a thought.