Quantcast

chainsaw ppe

gonefirefightin

free wieners
my current saw is an older ms290 with a 20" bar. covers a pretty decent range of stuff. eventually i want to get a smaller electric small for limbing and small jobs. @gonefirefightin i won't be doing any climbing, any reason to consider the top handle model (MSA 161) over the traditional 2 handed (ie MSA 160 / 200)?
The biggest seller for the top handle is the safe and easy one hand use. I can grab and toss with one hand and cut with the other without any issues and the saw balances well and couldn't possibly cut yourself as compared to 2 handed saws. Also the top handle version is significantly smaller in size allowing it to be carried many differetn ways, I have packed it in a backpack, strapped it to bikes as well as it fits in more places than the longer two handed versions

As far as the pants go I would suspect they will be fine either way as long as they arent chaps. I just like the stihls because they are a lot more cooler in the summer months and are bit more thinner than the alternatives from what I have seen with others wearing the cheaper versions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All the sawing I used to do as a youngster, we never wore proper ppe. Gloves, two pairs of jeans, eye protection, boots and sometimes a helmet.
i suppose we weren’t too far off… proper pants would be the main difference. Our concern at the time was mostly logs falling the wrong way or our saw getting jammed, not cutting ourselves.
Yea, Ive never used full ppe, always worn pants/boots, gloves, glasses, and double ear protection (squish plugs and muffs), but I'm working with some guys to organize a proper trail crew and work with a local state park. They require certification in order to allow you to run a saw in the park.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
View attachment 168247

I have been clearing most of our trails on the moto since it can pack the saw and a winch and clear it all solo. The tree you see in the background was cleared from the trail with only the top handle and the little winch. Granted I had to double cut in order to get through some 24" logs but it handled it like a champ.
Nice!
Stihl says the weight is 2.5 kg. I assume that is w/o battery pack, or?
Which battery pack and charger do you have/recommend?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Start with one of the big batteries and the quick charger then determine if you need another big battery. The saw weight is essentially the weight of the battery, the saw weighs nothing without a battery in it.
So AP 300 and AL 300 then? The AP 200 is weaker, but also a pound lighter. Mmmh, decisions.
Finding stock seems to be an issue too.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
So AP 300 and AL 300 then? The AP 200 is weaker, but also a pound lighter. Mmmh, decisions.
When I bought the saw it came with a 200 and a regular charger, sold both the 200 and the charger after one use. difference between the 200-300 and charge time of the quick charger is substantial.

I imagine stock would be an issue since every climber I know and all the landscapers are now all electric

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They have an AP300S too which has a bit more storage capacity.
If you get a Husq you can get a battery with 338W/h, it is a heavy pack though.
After swapping to a top handle I wouldn't go back to a rear handle unless I was going to do some serious dropping of trees.
Had to use it today because some new people decided to half drop a tree and just leave everything where it fell. It wasn't a huge amount of chainsawing but it showed the battery was ~25% down.
I'm not sure how good the lockout thing would feel if you wore gloves as you have to slide it forward and push it down, I have thought about taking the Dremel to it.
P_20211205_101923.jpg

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
+1 for pants and top handle.
They are warm in the summer, but much more comfortable than chaps, personally I feel the provide better coverage and protection too. I have a pair of Husky pants, I’d have to look at the size, but I’m 6’4” 210lbs and they are long enough to wear normal boots and not have high waters.

Our trail crew has 6-ms290s. Although 90% of the small stuff gets cut with my 193T top handle. For general trail stuff battery powered would be a much better solution.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
@jonKranked, which OSHA course you taking? I didn't realize it could be done with $25 and an hour of time. Chainsaw safety and logging techniques feel like they need a more comprehensive curriculum.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@jonKranked, which OSHA course you taking? I didn't realize it could be done with $25 and an hour of time. Chainsaw safety and logging techniques feel like they need a more comprehensive curriculum.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
two friends recently did a usfs course so they could legally remove downfall in pisgah. unlike me, who just goes in and works because we ride in a district no one ever visits much... :D they do live up there though and are more involved than me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
two friends recently did a usfs course so they could legally remove downfall in pisgah. unlike me, who just goes in and works because we ride in a district no one ever visits much... :D they do live up there though and are more involved than me.
The DCNR is fine with the OSHA course for clearing downfall.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
This is true. In the winter I typically have taller insulated boots on so it’s no biggie. In the summer when I’m sweating profusely they breath well at the ankles.
I am only 6'1" but I couldnt imagine the back pain of brushing with a short saw at 6'4", When I was on fires I would run a 38" bar just so I didnt have to bend over to flush cut all the things.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
The smaller sets are the MSR types and have been running them for years on fires. When lashed together with 550 cord and a carabiner they will both nest in a large water bottle pouch and the cordage will prevent you from losing the caps. Dont buy the vented versions, they will leak. I also will loop a scrench then put the carabiner back on to lock it in. The 30oz gas and 22 oil combo will get you around 3 tanks in a large saw. The larger 1500ml gas and 750ml bottles will give you around 5 tanks of gas on large saws. I use the same method to pack my wedges, all the bottles can be had on amazon for cheap, dont bother buying the overpriced MSR ones as the chinese version do just the same.

41388B22-C482-4882-9F84-79D305B9E870.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The smaller sets are the MSR types and have been running them for years on fires. When lashed together with 550 cord and a carabiner they will both nest in a large water bottle pouch and the cordage will prevent you from losing the caps. Dont buy the vented versions, they will leak. I also will loop a scrench then put the carabiner back on to lock it in. The 30oz gas and 22 oil combo will get you around 3 tanks in a large saw. The larger 1500ml gas and 750ml bottles will give you around 5 tanks of gas on large saws. I use the same method to pack my wedges, all the bottles can be had on amazon for cheap, dont bother buying the overpriced MSR ones as the chinese version do just the same.

View attachment 169931
cool. i have already a fuel Soto stove fuel bottles, wasn't sure if they'd be suitable for gasoline as well. you use these for bar oil too?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
When I first started fighting fires we used the dolmars and they worked well but the bottles were easier to pack and lighter, plus you can have others pack your fuel for you if you have several sets of bottles

I still use dolmars if I am not packing or having to carry as they have the bulk use needs met for heavy cutting days but still tend to use bottles more than anything

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My parents have a gas chainsaw. Was told it worked at thanksgiving. I can start it, it idles. When I grab the gas, it goes to cut off/die. The choke is all the way in and works as expected while starting. Any thoughts?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

View attachment 169931
I <3 spun aluminum.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
My parents have a gas chainsaw. Was told it worked at thanksgiving. I can start it, it idles. When I grab the gas, it goes to cut off/die. The choke is all the way in and works as expected while starting. Any thoughts?
Check the spark arrestor screen on the muffler as well. If that plugged it will idle(sorta) but bog/die with any throttle.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Wasn’t able to figure it out before leaving. Appreciate the help.

Every time I show up the tools are in such a state of disrepair it’s difficult to do anything. I’m there kicking myself for not just bringing my tools.

This trip I made two handrails and installed them (80yr olds with stairs and no handrails, 6yr old eating it twice on the slippery stairs was enough). Also made two low shelves for shoes in a closet. They have old drill with the most stripped out phillips screw driver bit imaginable. It drives nothing at all unless you can magically get it to work for a flat head screw. Let’s just say blisters on the hand ensued from the screwdriver handles!