Quantcast

Chainsuck solutions??

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Does anyone have a good method for reducing chainsuck on a bike with a normal chainstay (non-elevated)? I'm looking for anything from drivetrain adjustments to a total hack up job, as long as it works and doesn't cause me to fly into boulders as a result of the rear wheel locking up in washy stuff, such as this mornings wonderful ride. The frame and setup this is on is a 2005 Sinister R9 with an E13 SRS 40t chainguide with an FSA DH chainring, XT rear derailler, and Shimano chain of some sort.

Any help appreciated!! Thanks!

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
talk with frank about the issue, i know there are cetrain tires that will grab the chain more then others. i have been running my R-9 for a few months and never had this issue. i am also running my chainline a little wide so i have a better chainline in the higher gears. that might be a short term solution for you.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Check your freehub to make sure it's spinning freely. If it's not it could throw some slack into your chain causing the suck when you aren't pedalling or back pedalling (leveling cranks).

I did see a hack up job where someone cut the bottom off a small asprin bottle and zip tied it to the top of their chainstay (at the tire) and ran the chain through it. He said "It was his headache cure!"

Mike

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
So I've learned this is somewhat of a problem with the newer R9's running larger tires in the rear (I didn't think a Michi 2.5 was that large but I guess it is about the same size as a Maxxis 2.7), so I got clever and hacked away a spare piece of Al stock as a fin to mount to the tire side of the chainstay. Appears to work alright in the parking lot in scenarios where I could have forced the chain to suck into the wheel before, but I'll be trail testing it today at some point. I'll post pics when I get the chance.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
So I've learned this is somewhat of a problem with the newer R9's running larger tires in the rear (I didn't think a Michi 2.5 was that large but I guess it is about the same size as a Maxxis 2.7), so I got clever and hacked away a spare piece of Al stock as a fin to mount to the tire side of the chainstay. Appears to work alright in the parking lot in scenarios where I could have forced the chain to suck into the wheel before, but I'll be trail testing it today at some point. I'll post pics when I get the chance.
BUMP!

Does anyone know if this fixed the problemthis guy had?

I'm using 2.7 maxxis minion dhr, gamut p40, and 36t ring, and have some massive issues with chainsuck when bottoming out.
I thought that using a 38T chainring could fix the problem, but reading that this guy was using 40T made me think again about it.

(im on my way to do a search on sinister's forum, but wanted to ask the monkeys first.)