Quantcast

Chaistay length vs. wheel size on dedicated DJ'er..

CSkolnick

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
..which is more influential in how the bike will handle in a DJ only enviroment? I ask because i have been riding a Spooky Metalhead (16.5"CS and 26" wheels) for a long time now and recently was able to get a real nice jump trail built up locally. I have become engulfed by dirt jumping and want to get a new (my bike is beat, baaaaadly) bike specifically for the jumps. They are tight in some spots, airy and open in others and a lot of them are hipped landings that require real good air control. My question is this: Should i go 24" or keep the 26" wheels since, as far as i can tell, they have not given me any real problems? Also, i'm currently on an older frame with 16.5" chainstays and i see alot of newer DJ have shorter rears, some as short as trials specific bikes. i know the 26" will roll better but not be (comparitively) as "flickable" in the air but would a 26" wheeled bike with say, 16" chainstays. strike a good balance of stabilty/manueverabilty? Or, would going dual 24" with a longer chainstay be a better choice in a DJ only situation? The gyroscope should be less on a smaller wheel but a longer chainstay would make keep it stable. or would it not? I ask these questions because i dont only DJ but do alot of DH/Drop kind of riding and really prefer the feel of 26" wheels on mtb trails. A while back, i rode a dual 24" Trek Bruiser and it DJ very well but it sucked on the trail (imho). Basically, one of the reasons i love to jump is because i feel it helps your regular MTBing dramatically. Im concerned that by using 24" wheels, the skills wont transfer over as well to the big bike because they handle inherently different in the air. However, maybe having a bike that excels in any one realm will only make you that much better of a rider becaus the skills are the same its just a question of having the right tool for the right job. or maybe it doesnt matter and its the rider, PERIOD and get what ever looks cooler ;) Any thoughts?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
skills are skills.

I would go w/ smaller wheels so you can move the bike around more. but I ride bmx so big bikes always feel weird to me, even when I spend some time on them.

if it's just jumping, and the jumps aren't monsters (over 40 feet) or so, small wheels are fine. what it really comes down to is the rider. as I said, skills are skills.

I am not comfortable on a larger bike, so I vote for smaller wheels. follow your heart.....

CSkolnick

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
pnj said:
skills are skills.

I would go w/ smaller wheels so you can move the bike around more. but I ride bmx so big bikes always feel weird to me, even when I spend some time on them.

if it's just jumping, and the jumps aren't monsters (over 40 feet) or so, small wheels are fine. what it really comes down to is the rider. as I said, skills are skills.

I am not comfortable on a larger bike, so I vote for smaller wheels. follow your heart.....
Cool, thanks. Im still debating....

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I've been internally debating this same topic for years, should I build up a 24", or should I stick with 26" its a tough decision.

I am with the "Meh, whateva" club.. I don't find specifics on bike geometry affecting my jumping a great deal. Like PNJ I am also a bmxer, but I have a couple of big bikes, my Toy has 24s and I like it, but I often spend time on a friends .243 and another buddies DMR in skateparks, both of those bikes have 26s and they feel just as comfortable... albiet slightly bigger overall, but I am a small guy.
Whatever bike you ride time on it will give you confidence, as then you will grow accustomed to it's feel in the air.
But in the end what the hell do I know, I just buy bikes based on how they feel to me.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
wheel size does't matter so much.

you don't want very short stays for jumping though.... that's a common misconception.

short stays are good for manuals, turns, stalls... not popping off the lips of DJs.

CSkolnick

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
BoyBoy said:
wheel size does't matter so much.

you don't want very short stays for jumping though.... that's a common misconception.

short stays are good for manuals, turns, stalls... not popping off the lips of DJs.
Yeah, ive noticed that. Whenever im on a bike with 16.25 or sub chainstays i feel really squirelly (sp?). I thought that maybe i was just bugging out but it makes sense.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Short stays can help short people bunnyhop better I find - and this means getting good pop off a DJ is a bit easier... Hence why most DJ bikes do tend to be on the short end of stay lengths. Oh, and personally I love 24" for DJ, again, probably cos I'm on the short end of the scale. I find the bike easier to move around in the air - plus they are that bit stronger.