Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Since no one else made one...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

12-31-2006, 8:06 PM
Hecktone:

Zark said:
you seriously don't know what you are talking about. Baldy WANTS bikes, the winter business sucks for a resort that doesn't blow snow. It really is the beauracracy holding things up in this case.
I've got the ok to dig and create a second DH course, a 4x course, a dirt jump course, and even a 3rd DH route at Chamberlin Ranch. The only hurdle is, as al7barfly stated it is about $$$$ and participation or volunteers.

The Ranch Owners want to do anything that will supplement the cattle and farming operation. In early 2006 they let an LLC open and operate the Zaca Station Motocross Track. What does Chamberlin Ranch get out of this? Try $65,000 in less than a year, via $500 membership cost and $25 per ride session, and visitor fees of $50 per rider. Mountain bikers would not even pay a third of those numbers, or would they? The Ranch Owners have said that if I could get him $30,000 annually, he'd let me, and only me operate a club, much like a gun club, that could ride on thier property 2 weekends a month, or roughly 48 days a year.

If the Chamberlin Ranch Mountain Bike Club were to form, and riders, in return for say a $300 annual membership fee and a jersey, no per ride fee, 12 club trail work hours annualy, could ride there 2 weekends a month, could it fly? Of course there would be other perks too, like camping, clinics, and discounts, things like that. Keep in mind we already have an OK DH course and a 10 miles of XC trail and 10 miles of fireroad.

To this end, and to help the 3 events I already organize and promote there, we've been allowed to build a new 4 acre grassy venue that will now serve as and expo and start finish area for those events. I gthink because it is private, we can do without the EIR bs, for a while.

Your opinions please. Try not to be too harsh, as I'm very sensitive. :banghead:

Mike Hecker - Owner & Event Director
Chamberlin Ranch AMBC DH
Firestone SYV Classic AMBC CA State XC
24 Hours of Chamberlin Ranch[/QUOTE]

01-01-2006, 5:06 AM
mtnbrider:

That would be awesome. I would come dig often, but the price seems a little high for 12 rides per year ...:shocked: If it were affordable, I can imagine a huge amount of people going (almost like the Firestone race).

edit: don't forgot about slalom! :D
edit 2: I can't do math...I mean to say 24 days.

01-01-2006, 5:49 AM
hecktone:

Well, remember, the goal is to pay the rancher $30,000 ... not that much when you consider:

The ranches exposure to legal issues.
Insurance.
The size of the property that we'd be using.
It's 4 days a month, not 12 rides, 48 days worth of riding.

Are you going to join us today? If so, DO NOT ENTER OFF FOXEN CANYON, go in off ZACA STATION, look for the tires that I'm putting out as guides to the new parking area.

Also, Patrick, please burn me that photo disk from the 24 hour race.

Happy New Year!

Mike

01-01-2006, 5:52 AM
Hecktone:

oh yeah, I forgot.

We can design and build all the routes and there are no peszky hikers to complain or avoid. That alone is worth the price!

I already have a route in mind for the second DH run.

mh :banana:

01-01-2006, 9:35 AM
Ciaran:

hecktone said:
We kicked around the idea of a club thing when we first got the Baldy thing off the ground. I think you'll find that unlike moto guys, DHers are lazy and poor.

If you can make it work I salute you. I'll sign up for it and donate a few bucks to the cause.

Let's keep this thread about baldy only. Please post a new thread for this. (It should have it's own thread anyway.)

01-01-2006, 10:16 AM
W4S:

Ciaran said:
I think you'll find that unlike moto guys, DHers are lazy and poor.
I disagree. Look at how many people show up for a weekend of racing Fontana, and that's probably a $100 weekend per person.

Hecktone, I think you could make it happen if you had multiple quality trails and a reasonable shuttle system. I don't want to have to pay that much and have to hike to the top, and I certainly won't pay that much to ride the same crappy 3 trails. But, I'd most definitely pay for quality and convenience, and I think most people would say the same. also, if this succeeds it will breed other opportunities.

Put this in a new thread, please. This sounds pretty exciting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

continue...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
hecktone said:
Well, remember, the goal is to pay the rancher $30,000 ... not that much when you consider:

The ranches exposure to legal issues.
Insurance.
The size of the property that we'd be using.
It's 4 days a month, not 12 rides, 48 days worth of riding.

Are you going to join us today? If so, DO NOT ENTER OFF FOXEN CANYON, go in off ZACA STATION, look for the tires that I'm putting out as guides to the new parking area.

Also, Patrick, please burn me that photo disk from the 24 hour race.

Happy New Year!

Mike
Oh, okay. I thought you said 2days/month. I went to LA today and hadn't noticed that thread for the ride. How was it? I'll get that disk to you soon.

Thanks- you too.

socalpride

Chimp
Dec 5, 2006
Encinitas CA
I have no idea where Chamberlin Ranch is but hell if its whithin 2 hours from me id be there. But the one guy was right, i dont want to pay and have to walk to the top...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
$300 per year? Not a chance.
The DH course is fun, but super short and we are talking push runs!
A season lift ticket at a resort is $300-500, no pushing.
$300 is too steep, $100 I could see it.

dwnhiller

Chimp
Apr 26, 2006
$300 per year? Not a chance.
The DH course is fun, but super short and we are talking push runs!
A season lift ticket at a resort is $300-500, no pushing.
$300 is too steep, $100 I could see it.
is your resort year round and how far away is it?

is your resort year round and how far away is it?
I imagine not, but he can board the rest of the time anyways,

Mtbrider, see if you can talk him down on how much money he will be making. I really know nothing about this stuff, but could you call up some companies, and ask them if they would like to sponser it.

Or have something, where you name the DH trail after the company who sponsered you guys? I may be retarded, but im just throwing ideas out