Quantcast

Chameleon Thread

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon yesterday. It has a "new" Psylo on it, but I think it's a weak fork. I'm upgrading my freeride bike to a Jr. T and will have the Drop Off Triple I could throw on, but that's probably too much since I'm not a jumper, and will just use it for a "beater"/commuter bike.

Any suggestions and/or other Chameleon photos to view would be nice.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
if your just using it to commute and beat on keep the psylo, it will look less flashy and actually handle a ton better b/c it will not be raked out to the max

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
5" fork is best on a Chameleon. It'll go up to 6", but I think the handling sweet spot is 5".

I have a 03 Z1 FR QR20 on mine. With the right parts spec, you too can build up a 35 lb. SS XC bike.

:D

(I have lighter tires on it now, it was about 37 lbs when this pic was taken)

I love it.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
2nd Dexter on this one. I'd ran a psylo on mine for a while and it did great. Actually, I ran about 5 different forks on that frame - all good in their own right. That was a great frame for me, I really enjoyed it. I'm sure you will too.

really, really old pic:

'nuther psylo pic:

one with OLD Z-1:

one with new Z-1:

rigid with KM fork:

last one with Fox Float RLC:

It was a nice ride in every configuration. I was working at shop when I had it so I was able to experiment with different set ups. Frame works great with a 5" fork for trails, dj'ing, and whatever...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
What size chameleon does like cam zink and did paul b use when they were DJing those bikes. I always wondered cause the seat tube is kinda high but like the small size would be tiny as hell.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Took some pix of the Chameleon. Love the bike, but I think it's a tad small for me (it's a medium and I'm 6'1") thinking of getting a Voodoo, Surly or an Ellsworth SS for the commuter bike. Offers? Detail in Buy/Sell.