saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
saruti, you might want to include more info, like what head sets will work in them ect.

if they are just bearings then bearing numbers. what size head tube they are made for, do you custom lenghts?

otherwise, great work!!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Do you only need 1 cup? Or is the auction for a set?
I'm still concerned that you haven't taken the bearing alignment into account. Just because the cup is an eccentric, doesn't mean the bearings are aligned.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Do you only need 1 cup? Or is the auction for a set?
I'm still concerned that you haven't taken the bearing alignment into account. Just because the cup is an eccentric, doesn't mean the bearings are aligned.
no no, it's ok! "The cup is marked in the middle for easy installing"

wow. :clapping:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
Some info:
It’s for 1.5 head tubes with 1.1\8 forks.
Like for example a Sunday with a boxxer
It is made of aluminum. I use it for 7 months with no problems and no bearings warn.
You need only one cup.
You need a bearing and a taper ring like the ones in the e 13 reducer cups (bearings like: IS-2, IS-6, IS-SOLOS. Full Speed Ahead: Orbit IS (120-0325))
If you’ve got more questions, please ask.

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
That seems really basic...and pretty expensive for 20 minutes of machining time with some 6061 bar stock. Maybe for like $30 it would be more popular. Great idea nonetheless!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Wait, how the hell does this thing function properly if it is one cup with a wet thumb in the wind aligning feature????

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
kuksul08.
This is the price. If you can make it for less, just do it.
I don’t have a workshop. I have to pay lot for making it. And I have to take days off for it.
The shipping is free. Worldwide.

RD.
It is really easy to install it.
Its not rockets science. I’m using it for 7 months and its great. No problems at all.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Me no comprende' using only one cup.
How can your steerer tube go through one cup made for a 63 degree HA, and out of another cup that has a 65?
those are just your effective angles from the frame. technically one would be a straight cup (0*) and the other would be a slight offset (2*).

I am also perplexed as to how there aren't alignment issues.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
those are just your effective angles from the frame. technically one would be a straight cup (0*) and the other would be a slight offset (2*).

Yeah, I know but it still does not make sense.
Take a bike with a regular 1 1/8 headtube.
And give the bottom end a 2 degree slacker HA than the top end and then try to fit a steerer tube in it.:huh:
do not want.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006

i'm perplexed as well. seems to me that the bearings would bind.

it would work with two cups, but even with that, the allignment would need to be perfect. eyeballing some black marker ticks doesn't seem all that accurate to me.

it's tough enough to get the "king" to line up, between top and bottom, on a standard chris king headset.

great idea, though, i just don't see how this works.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
well, since he doesn't have wear issues, seems like that 2 degrees doesn't mean much.

even if it means changing bearing races every season its still pretty good. a simple and a bit crude solution, but if it works, why not.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
It just works great.
I’ve tested it for more than 6 months on my bike and some friends before started selling it.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Whats happening is in lower(or upper) cup is that the bearing cage is getting cocked sideays allowing the steerer to fit through. It will work, but In my mind that would eat the bearings up fairly quick and probably over time eat up the cup. He says they dont, so take my opinion for what its worth. Even if it does eat up the bearings, bearings are cheap, so it might be worth it. Now $110 seems steep but if they are the only ones available, he can charge what ever he wants.

Surfwax

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
It just works great.
I&#8217;ve tested it for more than 6 months on my bike and some friends before started selling it.
Just because your equipment can handle the additional stress of mis-aligning your headset (which is essentially what you're doing with your single headset cup) doesn't mean IT WAS DESIGNED FOR IT.

There are reasons headsets require your head tube be faced and reamed before installation. There are reasons for having torque specifications on bolts or bearing interfaces. And no your headset or fork may not fail immediately or catastrophically, but when you intentionally overstep the bounds of your components tolerances you are putting yourself and your equipment at risk.

This idea works, but only with two headset cups, high tolerance machining, and some very precise equipment for installing the cups with proper alignment.

And for the record, Rocket Science = Mechanical Engineering = Designing bicycle components. So yes, in a small way it is rocket science. :clue:

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
kuksul08.
This is the price. If you can make it for less, just do it.
I don’t have a workshop. I have to pay lot for making it. And I have to take days off for it.
The shipping is free. Worldwide.
I bet it takes a while to have the tooling prepared, but once the jig and axial programming on the mill is all set, you could bust out 60+ of those in a day.

I say you design a lower cup to at least evenly distribute the load on the bearing, then maybe get them anodized. That would make them sell for sure

ctavel

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Athens and Decatur
Why wouldn't you be able to use two of the cups that he is selling? I'm not familiar with the headtube that he has built the adapter around, but are the top and bottom dissimilar?

I realize that would be hella expensive but am just curious.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
The guy who makes them for me is doing it one by one.
There is no machine who making them automatically...

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
The guy who makes them for me is doing it one by one.
There is no machine who making them automatically...
What he was saying above is not automated machining, he is just talking about setting up the fixture(s). then pumping out multiple pieces. If the guy is setting up and machining 1, then setting up again later and making a 2nd one then he is a)nuts b)charging you 200 per unit c)on COKE!

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
You definitely couldn't use two of the same cup unless my ability to picture things mentally is completely out of whack. You'd end up with two cups pointing in the same direction but offset from one another.

This is just a single lower cup that you're selling, right? I absolutely don't understand how this works without completely trashing the top bearings. Is there something here that you're not explaining to us or is it really just a single, offset lower cup?

ctavel

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Athens and Decatur
Isn't that what you want-- the same degree of offset on the opposite sides of the headtube (front to back). Essentially, from the bottom, have the fork enter the headtube closer to the front while exiting the top closer to the back?

Again, I could be totally wrong-- just trying to figure it out

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Isn't that what you want-- the same degree of offset on the opposite sides of the headtube (front to back). Essentially, from the bottom, have the fork enter the headtube closer to the front while exiting the top closer to the back?

That's absolutely what you want. The way I figure it though, if you use two identical cups and turn one around to get things right front to back, you end up with the two cups pointing in opposite directions. If you have them both pointing the right way, they're not aligned front to back.

Or I'm half pissed. One or the other.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004

but the angle has to match. You can't just offset the holes without changing the angle of the holes. And when you change the angle wouldn't the bottom and top surfaces have to be the same angle as well?

Like below, how would you sort out the areas in red??

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
you use him too? I always wondered why his prices ranged from 50 cents to 3,000 dollars depending on the week

I GOT WARRANTS

ctavel

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Athens and Decatur
Yep, I'm in line with you now-- they'd need to be opposite but drilled with the angles opposite one another. Hrrm, that does seem like it would be trouble with only one cup then.

to the original poster, can we see an upclose shot of your bike with the cups in the headtube and the fork (without the stem)?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Saruti - don't misinterpret the comments in the thread. I think everyone is in consensus that this is GREAT idea, we just feel that you may wanna do a little more R&D on it before you start charging a hundred bux a pop.