Quantcast

Changing brake fluid in Avid Code

Enjoy

Chimp
Feb 10, 2008
Slovakia
Hi guys, I want to change all the brake fluid in Avid Code for new brake fluid. In the technical manual of Avid Codes there isnt any info about how to completely change the old brake fluid. Just how to bleed the brakes. Does anyone have any experience on doing this? I am not sure how to drain out the old fluid. Thanks in advance.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If you drain them, you will get air in them, and then have to deal with removing air.

If you bleed them with a lot of fluid (just keep pushing new fresh fluid through the brakes) you will effectively replace ALL the old oil with new.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I haven't done the Codes yet, but assuming they bleed like the rest of the Avid line, just fill one syringe and push until all the fluid through. You might have to do it twice, and you might as well remove the other syringe and use a catch bottle.

godzilla

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
Be sure to follow their instructions (found in the bleed instructions) on purging trapped air from the new fluid before using it.

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
The manual for the Codes says to use Avid brake fluid. Is regular dot fluid okay to use? If it is ok, then should I use 4 or 5?

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
Dot 4 is fine.
Dot 5.1 is fine.
Mixing the 2 is fine.

Dot 5 is DEFINITELY NOT FINE.

Mixing Dot 5 with 4 or 5.1 (mixing silicones with glycols) will cause solids to precipitate from solution, which is akin to bleeding your brakes with yogurt.
Just a heads up.