Quantcast

Changing fork oil?

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
I need somone who knows someone or can change the fork oil themselves for a low bill. My Duke XC need some new oil before I sell them for whatever I can get. I am buying Minute 1:00's soon anyway. It doesnt need to be soon, I am still recovering from a nasty fall I had on Sat. Hopefully I will be better by the O-Hill meltdown, if not I geuss I'll help put stuff together up there.:dead:

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
It's fork oil, it's not rocket science. They drain the old oil and add the new oil to a specific height or total oil volume. Provided they don't pee in it it'll be fine.

Now that said I have no clue what sort of oil I shoudl use in my forks to make them ride better. Damn you cheap Marzocchi SSV damping!

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
golden spectro! i'm probably wrong, but i think most zoki's ship with 4.5wt oil ... and usually not enough. more intelligent folks than myself can suggest what you should put in there, but tell us what you dislike about the ride quality now.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
corey_dcstreet said:
i'm probably wrong, but i think most zoki's ship with 4.5wt oil ... and usually not enough.
It's been awhile since I bought a Zoke, my newest is an '01, but they used to ship with 7.5wt. I agree with the "not enough" part. I changed the oil in 2 Zokes last weekend and both were well below the volume stated in the manual with no signs of leaks.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
How hard is doing a seal job yourself?

I think my Drop Off needs new seals since there's always a bunch of dust collecting on the backside of my right fork lower like oil dribbled out and then dust stuck to it.

Could also use something to slow the rebound but make it bottom out less when I run it with the correct sag. Higher oil level I suspect.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Opened her up today and found out that I only have a spring in one leg, with a strange metal spacer between it and the top cap. The other leg was just oil.

Any idea how much oil is supposed to be in these things and how I'm supposed to measure it? It looked like the oil was a good halfway down into the legs.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
HotButterToppin said:
Opened her up today and found out that I only have a spring in one leg, with a strange metal spacer between it and the top cap. The other leg was just oil.

Any idea how much oil is supposed to be in these things and how I'm supposed to measure it? It looked like the oil was a good halfway down into the legs.
What year is it? Check the Oil Level Table.

It's pretty much impossible to measure what's in there without dumping it out. If you're dumping it you might as well change it. Zokes ship from the company with 7.5wt oil. If you're looking to slow the rebound and you've already maxed the damping adjuster you could go to a heavier oil. It's strange that the other leg was just oil. There's usually at least a guide rod in the leg. Check the Manual, it might be normal, but it seems strange. edit: wow, the new manuals don't really tell you much... they used to have instructions/diagrams for complete disassembly

One of the forks I had apart this weekend had a spacer too, but it was less than 1/4 inch. I think it's to give the preload knobs something to push on to preload the spring. Was your spacer bigger than that?