Quantcast

changing the way i think about riding

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm working on getting out of my rut. i feel like my riding progress has not been very strong in the past year. some of that is due to the nature of the trails in LA/SoCal. there is no gravity/shuttle stuff and no berm corner stuff (for the most part) so i don't get many chances to ride fast. there are lots of hikers on the multi-use trails, and i don't feel like running them down. the jumps and hucks i have found have been either small enough for me to feel comfortable on and are starting to feel too small, but the bigger ones i know of seem too gnar. i'm still spooked by doubles. i still find myself checking my brakes in the corners (not before them, like i should). i still find myself too far over the front and standing too tall, raising my center of gravity. it is time to change the way i think.

2007 goals -
1 - remember that a rolling wheel has more traction and stop braking in the corners.
2 - lean in the turns. the pictures show i never lean as much as i think i do. my tires have yet to wash on me. i must trust my gear.
3 - weight back. again, i keep looking at pictures and i am never as far back as i think i am.
4 - don't brake check so much. it is ok to ride with a finger on the lever, but think about when it is a good idea to squeeze it. don't just grab it because it is there. hang on the bars and enjoy the ride. speed if fun. :lighten:
5 - get low. a lower center of gravity is better.
6 - get high. sack up and get it in the air. i see kids on bmx bikes boosting tables that i am afraid to hit on my fully. i am ashamed.
7 - try to manual more on the trail. it is fun and it looks cool.

how am i gonna do all this? i've got to think more and think less. i have looked at the dirt with the same set of eyes for too long. i need to see it fresh and new. time to visualize how i would like to hit a line, instead of thinking of all that can go wrong with the line that i am likely to end up on.

this all came to me as i rode my unicycle tonight. i am just starting out and it is all new to me. i was afraid to go to metal pedals with pins, so i had been working on learning with plastic pedals. i decided to switch over to DMR V8's tonight. i was afraid the pins were going to tear up my legs (i put the pads on). instead, i found the extra traction made things better. i had more control. it dawned on me that my fear of getting hurt was blocking my view of how to have fun. with my new found control, i was able to roll around the block on my uni. it was liberating and fun, like the first time i rode a bike. maybe if i can get over the fear on the uni and have some fun with it, i can get over the fear on the bike and have fun with it.

rant off.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
dude i feel just the same way about my riding, I feel like im not pushing myself and having the confidence in the ablilities that I have. Hows the bottlerocket working out for you and how much does it weigh?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
the b~rizzle is the shizzle! it is a fun little ride. i've been on it almost a year now and it keeps on keeping on. the most recent weigh-in has it at 38lbs.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
i feel the same way about my riding and i think if u ask 90 percent of the people here they will tell you the same thing. I also need to work on getting low and braking less. not being afraid to hold my speed through gnarly stuff is a big thing i am going to have to conquer this season. overall it mostly comes down to me riding more which is what i am hoping to do pretty soon!

Dec 11, 2005
WL Oregon
good to hear you're liking the bottlerocket. I've been contemplating one for a while now. just dont have the funds for one.

I know I could be going much bigger. I've been riding for almost 4 years now. I think doubles scare most people. get with your local trail builders. for some reason doubles aren't as scary when you know you're the one who built them.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
dude i feel just the same way about my riding, I feel like im not pushing myself and having the confidence in the ablilities that I have.
I figure as long as i'm doing 1 or more hospital visits a year, im pushing myself (this year has been a ton :''''''( )

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
3 - weight back. again, i keep looking at pictures and i am never as far back as i think i am.

Not always do you want to have your weight back....I dunno what you are specifically talking about, but you definately want it a little forward in corners, and usually centered most other places, not all on the rear end.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
a little birdie once told me the best way to advance is to ride your local DH trails on your hardtail, then on the last couple runs of the day bring out the big bike.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
yeah, i haven't been rocking the HT as much as I once did. i rebuilt it and now the rear derailleur sux :( damn $#!tmano. time for $r@m.
On our DH trail I was rockin the hardtail for a couple months, then my buddy let me borrow his Fully and I felt like i was much faster on the fully. I attribute it all to honing my skills on the hardtail.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Just saying this because I think I know you pretty well. I think you're thinking too much. go out to ride and enjoy but make sure you do stuff that scares you and you'll get better and start learning more too. Mtb is a combo of cerebral and physical challenges, dude, start stepping up and try not to let your brain interefere too much.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Just saying this because I think I know you pretty well. I think you're thinking too much. go out to ride and enjoy but make sure you do stuff that scares you and you'll get better and start learning more too. Mtb is a combo of cerebral and physical challenges, dude, start stepping up and try not to let your brain interefere too much.
i think that was stated ealier in the thread, in the first post, by me :lighten:

i agree. i gotta sack-up and brain-down.

i just can't seem to get away from that butterfly-in-the-gut feeling of fear that overcomes me when i see the bigger stuff (by my standards). the muscles lock and the brain fades. maybe it is time to visualize the postive and prepare myself for the fun that will come :clapping:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
you need to start thinking like a ninja. WWND?

Seriously, start coming out to our spot regularly and I guarantee your riding will progress. You'll learn how to visualize what you want to do and you'll become more intimate with the doubles because you'll be building on them. the 8 pack at the bottom is a perfect place to start... :monkeydance:

What do you mean we don't have any shuttle spots or trails with berms and jumps? Which SoCal are you in, the one in FLorida?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You should try the visualizing thing. Visualize yourself hitting stuff and doing the corners fast for a while, then do it.

I dh'ed (and raced) my hardtail for about a year. Then I got my bullit, and became way faster. I feel like I get a little faster each time I ride.

I heard riding with better/faster people makes you better. I usually end up riding with slower people.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
you are gonna hate me when i start casing the landings and wrecking them.
I build dirt jumps and don't have a problem with someone who is willing to dig and repair. I think most people would be ok with you casing and learning if you did the repairing afterwards.