Quantcast

Changing tires with Stans Sealant .............

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay my girlfriend's bike is set up with some IRC Mythos 1.95s with Stans and I want to change out the tires for something with a wider profile - 2.1s or maybe 2.3s..........

Do I have to use brand new tires? Is it going to be a pain in the ass to deal with the stans' sealant when I change the tires? If I need new tires, which brand works the best with Stans?

And if I decide to keep em as Stan's tubeless wheels all I'll need is some new sealant right?

:help:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo - been there - not sure if it says whether or not I need to use new tires or not. But most likely that'll help my chances of getting the suckers to mount and hold air huh?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
Okay my girlfriend's bike is set up with some IRC Mythos 1.95s with Stans and I want to change out the tires for something with a wider profile - 2.1s or maybe 2.3s..........

Do I have to use brand new tires? Is it going to be a pain in the ass to deal with the stans' sealant when I change the tires? If I need new tires, which brand works the best with Stans?

And if I decide to keep em as Stan's tubeless wheels all I'll need is some new sealant right?

How long have they been mounted? If it's just been a short time, you shouldn't have a problem re-using the rim strips. The problems occur when they have been in the rim a long time, and tend to bond to it. They do sell rim strips separately on the notubes site.

When you do the swap, I wouldn't call it a pain-in-the-ass, but it could be messy, if you aren't carefull. Not a job I recomend doing on the living room rug. Unmount a small part of the bead on one side, and make sure the open portion of the tire is down. This will let you know how much sealant is left inside the tire. As hot as it's been, there's a good chance most of it may have evaporated. Whatever is leftover, you can reuse if it's not very old, or if you are short on sealant. Otherwise, dispose of it.

You shouldn't have a problem with Stan's and used tires, if you have some decent ones lying around. Maybe a PM to Mike B. to see what he recomends for tire choices? :confused:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I have no idea how long the sealant has been in these tires as they came this way and the bike was bought used. I guess I should order some new sealant and give it a go sometime, or just put some tubes in there for the time being.

The Stans system intrigues me but I've yet to take the plunge. Steve B - do you highly recommend it or is it kind of a pain in the ass?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just replaced an old mutanoraptor. One thing you should be careful is if there is any gunk left on the rimstrip, it could cause a problem forming a bond against the new tire. I had to pick off all the old gunk for my wheel to work properly.

I also put a slightly used motoraptor on the back and it worked great.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
I have no idea how long the sealant has been in these tires as they came this way and the bike was bought used. I guess I should order some new sealant and give it a go sometime, or just put some tubes in there for the time being.

The Stans system intrigues me but I've yet to take the plunge. Steve B - do you highly recommend it or is it kind of a pain in the ass?
Actually, it's pretty straight forward, and not much of a pain at all. You put the rim strips on, mount the tire just like any other, and before you finish setting the entire bead, put 2 scoops of sealant in, then finish seating the tire. Inflate it initially with a compressor, as you need a lot of pressure to get it to inflate. I have heard of people doing it with a floor pump, but my oponion is it's much easier with a compressor. You may have to top off the air once in awhile before riding, but that varies depending on what tires you choose. Other than that, you might have to deflate and break the seal once or twice a year to add a little more sealant, and then repeat the compressor stage. The big advantage to using Stan's is you have a bigger choice of tires to run. Especially if you are going to use something 2.3 or bigger.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
MMcG said:

You do not have to use new tires, old tires will work but may take just a little more effort to get them sealed due to old punctures, cuts, etc. that may be present. Despite what some say, I don't think the sealant is a PIA during tire changes. In the shop we do one of two things for tire changes

1) with the wheel hanging from your workstand or handlebar, open one bead of the tire all the way around and put your thumb on the bead at the 6 o'clock position and pull outward to make a funnel shape and pour the sealant in to a cup/bowl/whatever. You can rinse out the tire if you like but it's not necessary.

2) get one of our Injectors and when you open one bead, use the Injector to draw up the sealant puddle

If you are tire shopping, I would recommend some Kenda, Maxxis, or Continental tires. I personally like the Kendas (Karma, Nevegal, Blue Groove) since they offer different widths and compounds and while they can take a little more work to seal they work great once set up.

All you will is some new sealant if you want to continue running tubeless.

Let me know if you have any other questions.