Quantcast

changing to 2x9, origin 8 crank

mtnbkr29r

Chimp
Feb 9, 2010
I currently ride a Felt 29er, and I'm looking to switch over to a 2x9. Here are the current specs:

CRANKSET
Truvativ "Blaze", 3-Piece Crank w/Howitzer M15 Axle Interface for External Bearing BB, Cold Forged Aluminum, 42/32/22T Steel Rings.

BB SET
Truvativ Howitzer M15 Cr-Mo Axle with External Bearings

CHAIN:
Sram PC-951 (9-Speed) Silver Outer

And i can get a good deal on an Origin 8 crank. http://www.origin-8.com/product_detail.php?short_code=Origin8+Sub+2x9+MTN+Crankset&cl1=CRANK+ARMS+%26+SETS Just wondering what else I will need to complete this switch, I assume it comes with both arms (left and right). thanks look forward to this helpful forum.

Last edited:

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
If you go with the Origin 8 that you linked, you'll need an ISIS BB rather than the X-bearing style you've got now. There's one in the classifieds here in a recent "garage sale" ad for cheap, but measure to see if your Felt needs a 68mm or 73mm BB. And yeah, you'll get both arms. I assume you're wanting a 2x9 in the Ritchey style (a small-ish middle ring and a big ring, losing the granny)? If you were wanting just to lose the big ring and replace it w/ a bash guard (that's the more common 2x9 around my neck of the woods), then you don't need a new crankset.
- Joe