Quantcast

changing to SS.. can i keep 1 deraileur?

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
how much are they? can any hardtail get one mounted to it? and is this my only choice? the tensioner remnids me of a deraileur.. and i dont wanna see one on my ride again

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Hold on, you want to go "SS" meaning SINGLE speed, but you want to keep 3 gears? It doesn't quite work that way. But, if you want a 3 speed bike, then yeah. As everyone has mentioned, rear tensioner. The best tensioner currently available is the Soulcraft model. Runs about $75 but is smooth as butter and whisper quite. All you need for the rear is a single cog. You'll need to decide on cog size to create the ratio's you are after. One important note, if you are using a freewheel for the conversion and it is aluminum, make sure the cog you buy has a wide base so it doesn't eat into the hub body. I like the Chris King cog for this application. Generally run around $40.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
yea i guess ill scrap the 3 speed part. If i like being singlespeed, but i need a little more freedom, then ill think about getting arear tensioner.. cause it doesnt make much sense to get a tensioner, just to realise i dont want it anymore. ill just start out SS. oh yea my front deraileur has only 2 cogs to work with.. not 3 like most

Don't think the tensioner would work for this application. They don't have enough throw to take up the chain slack you'd get shifting across even 2 chainrings.
Best bet would be to throw an old deraillure on there, but if you were gonna do that, migth as well leave all the gears on too.
Are you sure you want a SS??

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
mshred said:
yea i guess ill scrap the 3 speed part. If i like being singlespeed, but i need a little more freedom, then ill think about getting arear tensioner.. cause it doesnt make much sense to get a tensioner, just to realise i dont want it anymore. ill just start out SS. oh yea my front deraileur has only 2 cogs to work with.. not 3 like most
The tensioner is needed either way actually (unless you have a eccentric rear hub, sliding drops or EBB), and as psycho mentioned, it may not have enough slack even with only two gears. My advice is this, I felt the exact same way as you when I was first considering SS. I was hesitant to loose ALL gearing options. I bought new steel frame that had the ability to go SS or geared just in case I didn't like it. I was going to build up geared first and then consider SS, but I decided just to take the plung right out of the box and go SS. I am VERY GLAD that I did. Sure, I'll admit it was a bit tougher than I even had guessed on my first trip out. The second ride I decided to take it out again to give another whirl..... I already noticed I was understanding the dynamics and techniques and was improving swiftly. Now get this, since the SS has been built and rideable, my FS Ellsworth gearies has not been touched ONCE! I'm completely addicted to my SS and find myself taking it on trips where even the FS gearie is a WAY better choice. I choose it simply because no matter what, I'm having more fun with it.

No more gear adjustments
No more ghost shifting
No more slouching on climbs in the summer heat
No more chain slap
No more big ring grease tattoo

Don't get me wrong, I'll still ride the gearie soon enough, but I'm having too much fun to give it a look at the moment. I'm learning how to become a much better rider and stronger climber...... skills that I can take back to my gearie to become a much stronger faster rider!

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
thanks, that helps alot.. but one unanswered question is.. what kind of riding do you do? i know dirt jumpers and street riders are often singlespeed, but what about trail riders? i do a bit of everything, and is it difficult to ride bridges and other crap like that? doo you think its harder to ride trails SS?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Strictly trail riding. It's no walk in the park no doubt, but it is highly rewarding and a great learning tool. I've gone from getting my ass kicked on 6 miles buff single track rides, to riding a 26 mile, 8,000ft. epic last Wednesday. Granite, I can barely walk today I'm so worn out, but damn was it a blast.