Quantcast

Changing your head angle

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I've been looking at these offset bushings to slacken my bike a bit more.

I also know you can buy Angleset headsets (at retarded $$).

I want to know if there is anything else that can be done. I have a Chris King headset (1 1/8 - 1.5 tapered) which I don't particularly want to change. I seem to remember hearing somewhere there is an insert or something along those lines for your existing headset?

I.van

Monkey
Apr 15, 2007
Australia
Be mindful that whilst the offset bushes and the angle reducing headsets both reduce head angle and lower the BB, they will have opposite impacts on your seat angle.

I have a WC Headset on my Trance and it has been trouble free.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I can't make sense of their website...

Is that a whole new headset? Will I need to replace my Chris King with it?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I can't make sense of their website...

Is that a whole new headset? Will I need to replace my Chris King with it?
As mentioned above, yup, new headset.

There isn't really any "setting" to "forget". These aren't adjustable.

Just pick the right diameter, measure the length of your head tube and away you go.

Not a creak yet on mine...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Got a 2 degree works headset on my 5 spot. Love it.

Just buy it. It'll do way more than offset bushings and won't mess with your suspension like the bushings will.
yup, and you can probably sell your CK headset for not much less than the cost of the works replacement. Food for thought, as people LOVE CK headsets...

There is no insert, to my knowledge, that allows you to keep your current setup and slacken it. Perhaps they mean a 1 1/8" headset with a different "reducing" cup?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
When do you know you need to slacken your head angle? Its an interesting idea as I sure like going down hill more than uphill but I can also see how it would make some of the more technical uphills very challenging.

Damo what kind of bike are you riding?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
SB-66.

I live in the Alps where things get steep fast. Both up and down. The climbs are interspersed with pushing/carrying the bike and a steep HA on the descents can be... interesting.

Plus, in the summer there are around 30 lifts open in the area.

Lift assisted XC in summer, hike-a-bikes in the off season.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I have a Scott Ransom right now (fox 35 rc2 in front). The geometry is pretty standard with other 6" travel bikes. My last outing on the north shore had me thinking about reducing the head angle just to be a little more comfortable and confident riding down the trails.

I ended up getting a 3mm offset bushing for the shock (swapped out the f-ing crappy Equalizer shock for a Fox DHX Air). I haven't tried it out on the trail yet but whipping around on the streets made the bike feel a little slacker (head angle and seat angle). It just felt awesome. It's a cheap and easy way to slightly change things, instead of going with a headset and deciding which angle to go with. You just have to watch for how your suspension works and make sure altering your shock's position doesn't negatively affect your frame's suspension design.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you were to install an offset bushing at the shock pivot that rotated slightly as the suspension compressed, you would be altering the way the shock moved through the travel. I'm not sure how badly it would affect it, but it would. You're better off installing it in the shock pivot that rotates the least.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Stuck the 1.5 deg Works Components headset in tonight. Its a nice well made piece of kit. That should bring it to a good 65.5 deg HA.

Now I just need to get a ride in somehow... There is a few meters of snow outside which could hinder that idea.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I've been looking at these offset bushings to slacken my bike a bit more.

I also know you can buy Angleset headsets (at retarded $$).

I want to know if there is anything else that can be done. I have a Chris King headset (1 1/8 - 1.5 tapered) which I don't particularly want to change. I seem to remember hearing somewhere there is an insert or something along those lines for your existing headset?
You can buy a 5mm crown race from Chris king for their headsets. It'll raise the front that much which is like half a degree for 15 or so bucks.

Magura

Chimp
Jan 15, 2013
Far Far Away, Denmark
The trick here is to have an adjustable head angle.
For my next bike, I am making a headset that can be adjusted for up or downhill.
70 degrees for up, and 66 degrees for downhill.

Changeable but turning a knob.
I think that's gonna be real nice, as I tend to find the Swiss and Austrian mountains a great place, but have a hard time with some compromise for the head angle.

Magura :)

Jan 15, 2013
The trick here is to have an adjustable head angle.
For my next bike, I am making a headset that can be adjusted for up or downhill.
70 degrees for up, and 66 degrees for downhill.

Changeable but turning a knob.
I think that's gonna be real nice, as I tend to find the Swiss and Austrian mountains a great place, but have a hard time with some compromise for the head angle.

Amazing, definitely post that up when ready. Think about getting one from you.

Magura

Chimp
Jan 15, 2013
Far Far Away, Denmark
Amazing, definitely post that up when ready. Think about getting one from you.
I don't make stuff, so no reason to hold your breath ;)
If I can convince Shibiwan to make some, and a few people are interested, I will get the ball rolling, but it will have to be a custom for each frame, so once you hear what such a thing costs to make, I guess the interest is gone right there.
I would be surprised, if something like that could be made for less than $350 a piece, and that is if there are a few to be made.
A one-off is going to be silly expensive to have made.
I would estimate something along the lines of $1000+
See, now you like Anglesets again, right? ;)

Jan 15, 2013
I don't make stuff, so no reason to hold your breath ;)
If I can convince Shibiwan to make some, and a few people are interested, I will get the ball rolling, but it will have to be a custom for each frame, so once you hear what such a thing costs to make, I guess the interest is gone right there.
I would be surprised, if something like that could be made for less than $350 a piece, and that is if there are a few to be made.
A one-off is going to be silly expensive to have made.
I would estimate something along the lines of $1000+
See, now you like Anglesets again, right? ;)

Well if you got some schematics rolling on how it would operate $350 does not sound that bad :D

Magura

Chimp
Jan 15, 2013
Far Far Away, Denmark
Well if you got some schematics rolling on how it would operate $350 does not sound that bad :D
If another 20 people thinks the same way.....
Let's see ;)

Currently I'm a bit pressed for time, but I have ordered materials for making the headset.
Plain PTFE (Teflon) bearings, which I intend to incorporate in the adjustable bits, to not end up with something all that clumsy and heavy.

Keep an eye out at http://www.huckingkitty.com/forums/index.php for updates.
I hope to get all this going for the first rides this spring.
I kinda need it to make my new DIY carbon frame roll, which is pretty much ready for assembly.