Quantcast

Charger 2.1 damper

toodles

Turbo Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone here got any experience with the new Charger 2.1 damper? Was the RC2 Charger 2 bad or something? They released the 2.1 one year later which is pretty quick so I'm wondering if there were issues with the first gen 2s or something. I'm running a Lyrik RCT at the moment and considering a new fork so I can use my current fork on a second bike build.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I’ve seen a couple of online comments about not being happy with how the 2.0 handles large impacts, however I haven’t had an issue with my two ‘19 Lyriks, and the comments I’ve seen are super vague about what they mean exactly.

Happymtb.fr

Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have heard from people in the business of suspension tuning that the 2.0 is worse than the 1.0 which was not that great... FWIW
all of them are nevertheless easily upgradable with kits from Push, Novyparts or whoever tunes suspension near you

StiHacka

Compensating for something
That's a fairly detailed list of all that is wrong with 2.0. :D

Charger 2.1 Features

• Less high-speed compression - A redesigned shim stack helps limit the impact of high-speed hits and harsh braking bumps, equating to more control and less fatigue.
  • More low-speed compression - A different needle shape allows the fork to ride higher without added harshness. This adds more control to fork movement and reduces potential diving.
  • New piston wearband - Better oil flow management through the piston provides better damping control. In the previous version a leak path existed at the rebound piston, though it would only occur during occasional side-loading of the damper during aggressive riding.
  • New rebound piston - It features a new rebound needle profile and flow path changes to allow for more high-speed flow but more low-speed control.
  • New SKF rebound shaft seal - This decreases friction by 30% at the rebound shaft.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
behind you, don't wait up.
I have heard from people in the business of suspension tuning that the 2.0 is worse than the 1.0 which was not that great... FWIW
all of them are nevertheless easily upgradable with kits from Push, Novyparts or whoever tunes suspension near you
I have the HC97 from Push installed in a Lyrik (Charger 2 damper) and it's amazing.

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's a fairly detailed list of all that is wrong with 2.0. :D

Charger 2.1 Features

• Less high-speed compression - A redesigned shim stack helps limit the impact of high-speed hits and harsh braking bumps, equating to more control and less fatigue.
  • More low-speed compression - A different needle shape allows the fork to ride higher without added harshness. This adds more control to fork movement and reduces potential diving.
  • New piston wearband - Better oil flow management through the piston provides better damping control. In the previous version a leak path existed at the rebound piston, though it would only occur during occasional side-loading of the damper during aggressive riding.
  • New rebound piston - It features a new rebound needle profile and flow path changes to allow for more high-speed flow but more low-speed control.
  • New SKF rebound shaft seal - This decreases friction by 30% at the rebound shaft.
And rest assured, if it really is fixed, it won't be long before RS fucks it all up again to start the cycle over (IE: Mission Control Speedstack).