Quantcast

Charger damper in a Lyrik?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
OK, so I'm contemplating a new fork for my trail bike (Mojo HD). I'm replacing a 2009 36 Talas RC2, which I find I can't quite set up to my liking: not enough mid-stroke support, have to set it up too stiff and have to sacrifice early stroke compliance and grip. It really bothers me in dips and berms where the fork collapses under me and is completely unbalanced with the Pushed Monarch I have in the rear.

So I've narrowed it down to a Lyrik RC2DH Dual Position Air or a 2014 36 Talas RC2. I like the reports I've read of the new Talas (especially the one on Vital which claims categorically that the dive is gone). I've also read great things about the Lyrik RC2DH. But I'm wondering if Rock Shox won't be introducing a newer Lyrik with their new Charger damper soon. The big online retailers don't seem to have any 2013 Lyriks left, which indicates to me that maybe Rock Shox is getting ready to release their 2014 line of Lyriks. Which also leads me to wonder if the 2014 Lyrik will have the new bladder damper system of the new Pike. Anyone have an inside line?

Also, any opinions on the bladder damper from Rock Shox (the Charger damper) would be appreciated. If its better, maybe I'm better off with a 2013 RC2DH if I can find one.

Yes, I've thought of the Vengeance, but (call me what you like) the weight difference is problematic for me. If the Fox and the Lyrik are almost a pound lighter, and perform as well, I'd rather stick with one of those two.... I've also thought of an aftermarket kit such as Fast Suspension or Avalanche, but my main concern is with the chassis of my current fork. It's five years old. I'm not sure how much life is left in it. And the fork still works ok now, especially for a lighter or less aggressive rider. If I can get a few hundred bucks for it to help offset the cost of a new fork I'd rather go that route.

(and yes I know this is the DH forum, but it gets the most views, and has more knowledge about suspension)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Buy a used lyrik r and stick an Ava cart in it? Or just buy a crown, lower and air spring am put an Ava cart in it?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I'd agree that you dont want to sink money into the talas. The life expectency of the bushes and stanchions must be getting short.
All whispers are that the top end dampers across the range for sram will be bladder damper types.
Personally I'm a little concerned about SRAM's ability to get the QC right on such a notoriously finicky construction. Who knows, maybe they've found a simpler way to build them and get them right. I'm keen for a Pike - but I'm going to wait and see a little bit.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
pretty sure the the charger cart would thread in and fit, but you would need to run the lyrik at 160mm, IE it won't extend to 170mm.

if you wanted the charger regardless, why not just stick a pike on the bike?

still think an AVA cart in a Lyrik is the obvious choice, just FWIW.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I want the 20mm through-axle, hence a no-go on the pike.

to be honest, the prospect of buying a used fork to slap an avy cart into isn't appealing to me given all that can go wrong with a fork. If I knew and trusted the seller, then maybe, but the local market for that sort of fork is pretty much non-existant.

I just realized that maybe I wasn't being clear. I'm not really asking if I could retrofit the new damper cartridge into an existing Lyrik. I'm wondering if RS will be releasing the Lyrik with the charger damper soon, and whether that would be a better fork than the recently released 2014 36 Talas RC2.

thanks for taking the time to respond though, it's much appreciated.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I am trying to find article again but I thought I read that Pike and Lyrik have the same stanchion size. If true, I would be curious about slapping on Lyrik lowers to make the Pike 20mm compatible. I know the lowers on the Pike are asymmetrical according to article to reduce materials and weight where possible but I imagine that is minuscule and worth it to keep my 20mm axles.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
wound up ordering the 36 Talas. it'll be a couple more weeks before they make it here to Canada, but I figured it was a safe bet...