Quantcast

Charger damper in RS Yari?

bonky

Chimp
Jan 22, 2016
Hi,

Long time lurker finally turned poster..

I have short question for the suspension people, is there any reason why I couldn't drop a Charger damper into the Yari RC forks? It seems to be a combination of a Lyrik chassis and an 'updated' (whatever that might mean) Motion Control damper.

Point is I'm looking at the 2016 Capras and because I'm quite specific when it comes to bike set up I'm not fond of buying a more expensive model only to have to upgrade everything anyway (coil damper, dual plies, Renthal cockpit, most of them laying in my shed). The cheapest one comes with the Yari and I'm really impressed with the Pikes on my hardtail so I'd like to have the same damper on the long travel rig.

Has anyone already opened up one of those forks? I realise it's quite a new product so this might be a long shot..

Cheers,

Mark

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sure, but why do this when you can drop an avalanche damper in a Yari and make something way way better which still is cheaper than a new Pike.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Anybody know if you can put Lyrik dual position bottomeless tokens in '15 and older pike dual positions?? Not sure if they changed the internals or just made new tokens to work in the old design....

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Sure, but why do this when you can drop an avalanche damper in a Yari and make something way way better which still is cheaper than a new Pike.
A Charger damper costs ~$175 ish, and an Avalanche damper is $449, per their site.

Not sure what bong shed you walked out of....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anybody know if you can put Lyrik dual position bottomeless tokens in '15 and older pike dual positions?? Not sure if they changed the internals or just made new tokens to work in the old design....
The stawkshuns are the same size I bet they'll fit. I don't know if the topcap on the dual position assembly has the threads for them though........

I was going to pull mine out (heh) in the next few days to start working on something else. I'll check if you don't feel like messing with it.

edit: doesn't look like it

http://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/rockshox-pike-spring-internals-left-dual-position-air-26-150-a1?CAWELAID=730010720000019159&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=730010720000034023&cadevice=c&gclid=CKGG-6mSvsoCFdgQgQodfy4NPg

I think I've mentioned it before but I have one in mine. I made it from a rubber stopper. Works great.

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
The stawkshuns are the same size I bet they'll fit. I don't know if the topcap on the dual position assembly has the threads for them though........

I was going to pull mine out (heh) in the next few days to start working on something else. I'll check if you don't feel like messing with it.

edit: doesn't look like it

http://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/rockshox-pike-spring-internals-left-dual-position-air-26-150-a1?CAWELAID=730010720000019159&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=730010720000034023&cadevice=c&gclid=CKGG-6mSvsoCFdgQgQodfy4NPg

I think I've mentioned it before but I have one in mine. I made it from a rubber stopper. Works great.
If you have it apart and dont mind snapping a pic of the homemade one Id appreciate it...I wouldnt mind trying it...Im happy with my fork for what I ride but would be interested to test it...personally I prefer the DPA over the solo air I ran on my bike for a couple weeks...although I think the solo air only had one token installed...

thomasogram

Chimp
Jan 2, 2017
Hi,

Long time lurker finally turned poster..

I have short question for the suspension people, is there any reason why I couldn't drop a Charger damper into the Yari RC forks? It seems to be a combination of a Lyrik chassis and an 'updated' (whatever that might mean) Motion Control damper.

Point is I'm looking at the 2016 Capras and because I'm quite specific when it comes to bike set up I'm not fond of buying a more expensive model only to have to upgrade everything anyway (coil damper, dual plies, Renthal cockpit, most of them laying in my shed). The cheapest one comes with the Yari and I'm really impressed with the Pikes on my hardtail so I'd like to have the same damper on the long travel rig.

Has anyone already opened up one of those forks? I realise it's quite a new product so this might be a long shot..

Cheers,

Mark
Hi I have a yari and am looking to do the same with a charger but as my fork is only 120mm I am not sure if there are any specific dampers for each size or if one size fits all loads of good deals on ebay but uncertain as to sizing.
Have you any idea about this?
Cheers

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I think I read somewhere that the thread at the top of the stanchion is not the same on some models of 35mm forks from RS bur I cannot find where... maybe you can find that type of info in the spare parts catalogue?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Yari is a similar chassis as the Lyrik , I asked about swapping a charger damper into one when I got my fork and shock rebuilt at Fluid Function . It can be done but in the end if you buy the parts separately it can cost more than buying a Lyrik is what Shaun told me .

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/luftkappe-upgrade-kit-for-pike-amp-lyrik-press-release.html

wonder if this would fit
Taking the retail price of a Yari, probably, but if you got one it still makes sense to upgrade to a decent damper.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
Lyrik and Yari share the SAME chassis. Yari can take a Lyrik damper.

Pike upper tubes are thinner and the thread is different (because they are thinner) so the pike damper is not compatible in the Lyrik/Yari.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
WIN WIN ^^ really. no?

Lovin' my Lyrik*... while I hear mates whine about their Pikes most rides... (never owned a modern Pike myself)

*which just so happens to be bolted on my Capra

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have not been following the damper chronicles....so a question a bit out of left field.

A buddy asked me last night what he could do with his old fork. 2010(?) Lyrik with a Motion Control.
He is doing a rebuild on his shock and fork for a return to riding - funds are available for upgrades, not replacement

I know a same series Mission Control will fit.

Anything else - or is he stuck finding an old Mission Control?

Thank-you gentlemen.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Have not been following the damper chronicles....so a question a bit out of left field.

A buddy asked me last night what he could do with his old fork. 2010(?) Lyrik with a Motion Control.
He is doing a rebuild on his shock and fork for a return to riding - funds are available for upgrades, not replacement

I know a same series Mission Control will fit.

Anything else - or is he stuck finding an old Mission Control?

Thank-you gentlemen.
I think it's awesome RS did a Charger upgrade for the older forks. I think this is what you're looking for:
https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/lyrik-26-charger-damper-upgrade-kit

imbecile

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Bulgaria
I put a Splug http://www.novyparts.com/produits-novyparts-suspensions-vtt/splug-bloc-de-compression-hydraulique/splug-bloc-de-compression-hydraulique.html in my Yari and it is now working way better than my 36. The site is in french only but the guy is so popular in France that he doesn't really need to be accessible for the English speaking bikers. He does speak English tho but answer very slowly to the mails...
@Happymtb.fr How was your ordering experience with Novyparts? I ordered a Splug last Thursday and still haven't received any feedback (apart from the auto message generated by the system).

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Happymtb.fr How was your ordering experience with Novyparts? I ordered a Splug last Thursday and still haven't received any feedback (apart from the auto message generated by the system).
Don't worry, the guy is not fast at answering mails. It takes between a week and maybe 2 to get an answer. If you don't get any feedback after that you can send him another mail. He recently moved to a different place and was riding the European DH master in Portugal last week end so he is pretty busy at the moment!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Don't worry, the guy is not fast at answering mails. It takes between a week and maybe 2 to get an answer. If you don't get any feedback after that you can send him another mail. He recently moved to a different place and was riding the European DH master in Portugal last week end so he is pretty busy at the moment!
So they don’t have email in Yurp yet?

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Sorry if this is a tangential hijack but here are your options, whatdya do - go. For a Banshee Prime build, 135mm rear travel wagon wheeler

$250 option
A new Avalanche cart in a used Yari fork

$0 option
A used Fox 36 RC2 that probs needs a service

150mm travel for both.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
I'd open up the 36 and see if the stanchions are OK below the seals. If so, service the 36 (or get someone else to do it for less than $250).