Quantcast

Charlotte DS

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
It's been pretty quiet about the Charlotte race. Anyone have anything on the DS course?
We overslept and missed the race last year but later in the year we pulled over on a road trip and rode it for a little. We liked the old course better. But we can't complain because we don't work on it :nopity:

Crazy Dan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
Last Place!
I guess they have a DS and a DH course? We are talking about Catawba in Charlotte, right? I haven't been able to find any information on the race like start times and directions and all that. As a matter of fact I have had alot of problems finding info about the east coast downhill races. Websites just list the date and that is it. I'm just starting out and it helps to be able to find out stuff ahead of time. Sugar Mtn. had a nice brochure that you could download from their site.

Anyway, beginner racer, wants to race the DH at the Catawba Gravity Fest Maxxis Race, needs specfic information.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I just got info from Juan today.
DS starts @11am
DH starts @4pm

If you have never raced the DH at Catawba I suggest leaving the big bike home and bring your FS XC bike. Or if you race the DS just use that bike for the DH.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Crazy Dan said:
I guess they have a DS and a DH course? We are talking about Catawba in Charlotte, right? I haven't been able to find any information on the race like start times and directions and all that. As a matter of fact I have had alot of problems finding info about the east coast downhill races. Websites just list the date and that is it. I'm just starting out and it helps to be able to find out stuff ahead of time. Sugar Mtn. had a nice brochure that you could download from their site.

Anyway, beginner racer, wants to race the DH at the Catawba Gravity Fest Maxxis Race, needs specfic information.
I'll post directions from GA tomorrow

Getting there is soo easy.

Straight up I-85. Takes me like 3.5 hrs. to get there.

Anyway, definitely take a short travel bike. And some good tires. I'm going out to find some today. I need some redemption after Sugar.

Peete- Denise and I are going to Mansell at about 2-ish today, want to come up?

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
jet said:
Getting there is soo easy.

Straight up I-85. Takes me like 3.5 hrs. to get there.

Anyway, definitely take a short travel bike. And some good tires. I'm going out to find some today. I need some redemption after Sugar.

Peete- Denise and I are going to Mansell at about 2-ish today, want to come up?
I always like to come. Unfortunately I'm spent after riding/scouting Thomaston. Thanks for the offer.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Here are more detailed directions:
On I-85 N. bound get off on exit 29.
At the top of the ramp go left.
Take a left on Performance Rd.
It dead ends on Moores Chapel Rd
Turn left.
Then take your first right on Heavy Equipment School Rd.
That will take you straight into the parking lot.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
BTW, I rode out there last Wednesday (it's been rainy since then) and the DS course has not been worked on since last fall's Cane Creek Cup. As of last week it was completely ungroomed and completely cover by hip high grass and weeds............there's a lot of work to be done in order to have DS comp in 5 days.
DH course needs some minor TLC as well....

I'll probably ride out there on Tuesday or Wednesday though so I'll see what it looks like....

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
More info......the DS sounds like it'll be pretty cool! :thumb:

Gravity Fest Comes To Catawba!
It's coming this weekend, the Catawba Gravity Fest, the 4th stop on the Maxxis Southeast Super Series. This Saturday, August 21st, the southeast's top downhillers will be at Historic Tuckaseegee Park (a.k.a Catawba Riverfront Park). Two events will highlight the thrilling action filled day of gravity events.

Dual is a cross between dual slalom and four-cross. Basically the dual slalom course will be turned into a head-to-head course with one larger lane, as opposed to the two lanes in dual slalom. After qualifying, pairings will be set and a head-to-head single elimination bracket will determine the winner.

At 3:00PM, the downhillers will take to the short but tricky downhill course of the Catawba Gravity Fest. Top honors will be determined by taking the best of two runs on the fast course.

Registration will open at 9:00AM with Dual qualifying at 11:00AM.

For times, directions, categories and all other pertinent information, check out www.charlottemtnbike.com.

Thursday, we will be at the park getting the dual course ready. The downhill course is pretty much ready to go, just a few minor areas to work. If you would like to help with the courses, a crew is heading to Catawba around lunch on Thursday. Come on out.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Curiouscaptian01 said:
Yeah I am most likly going to head out there on Saturday with my hardtail, as my douchiebag is awaiting some parts.
Yo CC,
You guys got anything new to ride in G-ville lately.
Me and Matt, went over to our course not long ago. That place blows in the summer. I am gonna hook my 5-spot up soon to where it is better suited for jumping, bashing etc...
Looking forward to bringing out to yawls trails soon. :dancing:

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
Jeremy R said:
Yo CC,
Me and Matt, went over to our course not long ago. That place blows in the summer. I am gonna hook my 5-spot up soon to where it is better suited for jumping, bashing etc...
I heard about that, we were going to come out and ride that night but couldn't make it, sorta glad too. After the bees attacked.

But, yeah man we got tons of new stuff, some new drops, new jumps. I am sure T-Pirate will throw up some pictures of the new stuff we have out there for you. Pictures will show more than I can say anyways.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Jeremy R said:
Yo CC,
Yeah plenty.

Lots of new tech stuff added, as well as some new dirt jump lines since you have seen it. I am also looking to build some fast little tech sections, although the spots I have found aren't exactly long, it would be like the main rock garden at yall's trail, just a session type thing. You haven't ridden the whole desert trail either, and it is a blast to take a bunch of runs down, its a TON faster now that the whole thing is done, less brake checking before the jumps because they now have runouts.

sorry for the hijack.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
I'm leaving here in a few hours to head up there... I'm going to be riding/working on the course all day Friday.

if you're still deciding if you're gonig to go or not, go. you know that you can put off everything else!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
nuttypoolog said:
I'm leaving here in a few hours to head up there... I'm going to be riding/working on the course all day Friday.

if you're still deciding if you're gonig to go or not, go. you know that you can put off everything else!
Can I put off a broken arm? :nopity: :eviltongu

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
T-Pirate said:
Forgive me for their crappiness. Are you racing it on your 5 spot jeremiah?
Well, that was the plan, and I was all excited to race it.
And then Wednesday, my rear hub shat the bed.
Its all loud even when your coasting and you can move the rear wheel back and fork a good inch.
So, now I need to "Charlottify" my DHR for Saturday.
So its 2.1 tires and a super stiff rear spring.
Who cares, I'll have fun no matter what.
See you guys out there!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, you could ride this DH with your arm in a sling. :blah:
Actually I have started riding again, but I don't want to race just yet. I am going to try to hit Windrock on Sunday. Snakerock for me............yippie :cool:

Crazy Dan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
Last Place!
I have a three hour drive that I don't want to make just to find out the event has been cancelled due to weather. What happens if it rains? The radar shows rain on its way and it is raining here in my part of GA. I don't mind a ride in the rain and mud, I can't afford to drive up unless the race is a sure thing.