Quantcast

***chasing the dragon GMT***

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
don’t know if clown car is Jeep or Can Am

/me headed up to the mountain house today. Parents, one of my sister’s kids, and my whole brood so two cars as that’s 8 people.

Giant Connect 4 was a hit. As was cornhole at The Noble Buck. Pumped up the SUPs but no one got around to using them at the pond up the hill.

off to RMNP tomorrow.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
My ankles itch. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. And yes I had pants on while trimming.
Dude! You'd think I was growing that stuff as a cash crop...I wear long pants, long socks and tall boots when trimming or mowing the poison oak (same active chemical as ivy). I usually wear a hat, bandana and safety glasses too. I look like a fucking goon - more so than usual, but rarely get itchy.

If I do come in contact or think I did, I lather up the suspect spots with dolomite lime. Not great for the skin on the regular, but removes / neutralizes / does something to the oil to prevent the itches.

ETA: fun fact - the poisonous oil in poison oak, ivy, etc. is the same stuff used to make the red lacquer in traditional japanese wooden bowls...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
@Pesqueeb and his colleagues seemingly doing solid work at COS airport.

View attachment 213112
Yes. It definitely sucks here. You're totally better off not coming here on vacation, especially during riding season.

To be real though, a HUGE part of those airport metrics, and not mentioned in that article is geography, weather, and because of the military, some extremely long runways. During the summer COS receives more diverted flights than anywhere else in the country. Amusingly, most of those are weather diversions from Denver. COS is often the secondary airport for every airport between Cheyenne and Santa Fe and every airport on the Western Slope so the first second weather gets bad or someone has a medical or mechanical event, they come here. COS is such a tiny airport under normal ops that any event skews metrics pretty badly.

None of that to say that we don't also suck, because we absolutely do. At least at my airline, were often at the bottom in terms of first first flight cancels and delays and every other way in which these things are measured. I have a couple theories about this but it mostly comes down to experience level and leadership IMO. The latter being why I remain on a job hunt.

Last edited:
Dude! You'd think I was growing that stuff as a cash crop...I wear long pants, long socks and tall boots when trimming or mowing the poison oak (same active chemical as ivy). I usually wear a hat, bandana and safety glasses too. I look like a fucking goon - more so than usual, but rarely get itchy.

If I do come in contact or think I did, I lather up the suspect spots with dolomite lime. Not great for the skin on the regular, but removes / neutralizes / does something to the oil to prevent the itches.

ETA: fun fact - the poisonous oil in poison oak, ivy, etc. is the same stuff used to make the red lacquer in traditional japanese wooden bowls...
Famous last words, but my sensitivity to poison ivy seems to have decreased as I aged. Perhaps it does not affect fossils.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

I've had good luck right after being exposed with lathering up with a good grease cutting dish soap. However I didn't think to do my feet/ankles. So my arms that were green with slaughtered plant guts no itchy, but my feet (had on some trail running shoes. . .theres the problem), itchy as fuck.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I hate to spray chemicals out into the environment all willy nilly, but all poison ivy on my property gets chemically killed. I'm way to sensitive to even consider weed whacking the stuff.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
you bitin' someone's style bro???
More like bitin’ the Earth?

Brother.

No teefs lost?

I hope your coffee intake is okay this morning (that comment now makes sense).
Teefs are all there, first thing I checked. No loss of consciousness, rest of my head seems okay i.e. no concussion, and other than a wrecked Timberbell the bike seems fine. Managed to ride out and back home.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I hate to spray chemicals out into the environment all willy nilly, but all poison ivy on my property gets chemically killed. I'm way to sensitive to even consider weed whacking the stuff.
Yeah, I get that. In fact, I have a jug of Trimec waiting in the shop, but I just can't do it. There are too many other "good" things too close to the poison oak - wild irises, mint, strawberry, columbines, wild roses, and lots more stuff that I can't see or don't recognize. I just can't do it. So, I bundle up, take my time and pull as much out from the roots as I can. The rest I weed wack or mow. I also try to encourage other ground cover that will block out the posion oak.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yeah, I get that. In fact, I have a jug of Trimec waiting in the shop, but I just can't do it. There are too many other "good" things too close to the poison oak - wild irises, mint, strawberry, columbines, wild roses, and lots more stuff that I can't see or don't recognize. I just can't do it. So, I bundle up, take my time and pull as much out from the roots as I can. The rest I weed wack or mow. I also try to encourage other ground cover that will block out the posion oak.
Guess I'm lucky then. My PI grows amongst the copious amounts of oriental bittersweet (fuck that shit to the moon and back) and Virginia creeper. A little bit of indiscriminate spraying is unlikely to take out anything I actually care about.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Famous last words, but my sensitivity to poison ivy seems to have decreased as I aged. Perhaps it does not affect fossils.
Much like my allergies my sensitivity to poison ivy cycles back and forth from being able to roll in it to needing a steroid shot from looking at it through a telescope.

It isn't as prevalent where I go into the woods here which is nice. What is even better is that I haven't used bug spray nor seen a tick in 8 years.