Quantcast

Chattanooga: Raccoon Mountain

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'd been hearing alot lately about the great trail work being done down in Chattanooga TN by the local SORBA group. Supposedly they're on mission to make the place a real MTB destination and there was an article about the plans in one of the major bike mags this month. I got up early this morning, loaded up ole' Eggplant and headed south on I-24 for about two hours. I didnt realize Chat was actually that close to Nashville, so I should've made this trip before to hit up the trails, but better late than never I guess.

When I got there I visited the TVA visitor center to hopefully obtain a trail map, and after a short lechture from some retired TVA guy staffing the place about how the lake got on top of the mountain, I got my map and headed to the trailhead. Pretty good view from up there of downtown and the Tennessee River.

I took off down the trail and it was a blast from the get-go. There was a bunch of neat trail features like boulders to ramp off of and a log ride and some other things. As always though, Im always too happy to be riding to get many pics near the start of a ride. So most of these are from around mid-way.

Alot of the trail was fast, then you'd hit some downhill section like this. Can you spot my bike?

Here's this section again from the bottom looking up. Looks pretty tame in pics, but it was techy and fun for sure.

I dont know who this guy was or what he did, but this sure is a cool way to be immortalized.

...so then you're flying on through the woods, and all of a sudden you bust out into the sunshine. DAM!

As I was saying before, about the lake on top of the mountain, what this place is, is a huge resorvoir pumped from the TN river up on top of raccoon mountain by the TVA. Then, in times of high energy need, they let some of the water flow down the hill, through some turbines to generate more power. Im not sure exactly how you get a net gain from something like this, but whatever, because the TVA lets the rest of the mountain be used as a nature sanctuary and for bike trails, so its worth it.

Apparently it took a couple weeks to build this path in the dam. A guy told me they didnt use any machinery at all, just teams of people carrying rocks down the dam. Damn! Again, can you spot my bike?

...anyway, trail as it is now is around 16 miles. Supposedly they're going to have over 30 up there upon completion, but I can say with confidence that this is easily one of the best trails Ive ridden in the south. Good climbing, nice elevation, lots of terrain features, fast, flowy...all that stuff. Definitely worth a day trip.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I would say the rock path is 40" wide and about 60-75yds long. Pretty nuts to be done all by hand.

Kizzi stayed at home. I wanted to scope the place out a bit before bringing her and the dog down.

Also, sorry for the lack of action shots. I was out there all alone and really suck at the timer shots.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I grew up and went to school in Chattanooga but moved west after school. I used to ride dirt bikes in the mountains and it was awesome. This was around the time Gary Fisher and the Marin guys were inventing mountainbiking so I've never ridden bikes there. We have great riding here in Norcal but I bet they have some incredible trails back there. I've got to make a trip back someday to ride.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
That looks like a sweet trail for sure. Like that rockwork, real nice work.

That's pretty unique for a trail being built on a dam.

Quality stuff man.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Made it down there a couple of months ago to ride and they really do have things going in the right direction. Your only a few miles from downtown but you feel like your alot further once you get up there and on the trails. We came away very impressed with the trail system.

Here's a link to a trail map

http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/Tennessee/Racoon Mountain/800x600Raccon Mountain.jpg

And an aerial view of the trail system.

http://www.sorbachattanooga.com/trails/Tennessee/Racoon Mountain/Raccoon_Mountain_3D.jpg