Quantcast

cheap 29er frame?

lysth

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
what's the cheapest 29er frame that takes gears and front susp? and if it was offered in europe (or by an american store with international shipping) it would be a lot easier for warranty issues...

so far the on one scandal and the vassago jabberwocky seem to be the cheapest i found, at around 450 usd. know of any good deals? i could go for smth really cheap, or maybe a used mamasita for the same dough as a new vassago, dunno.

thanx

lysth

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
where is he located? what does it cost to ship a frame to europe?

eta: btw, don't bother unless it's an XL.

Last edited:

lysth

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
what is cheap to you? What's your budget?
i don't really have a budget... i can prolly go as high as $500 right now, but only for a really good reason. i plan to buy a good frame in the summer, move the parts over, and run the cheap one SS. but right now i want to get the cheapest decent frame available, to save money for other parts, i was hoping to find smth a lot cheaper than $500, like the zion 737 (sadly discontinued).

nmr8

Monkey
Apr 6, 2007
i don't really have a budget... i can prolly go as high as $500 right now, but only for a really good reason. i plan to buy a good frame in the summer, move the parts over, and run the cheap one SS. but right now i want to get the cheapest decent frame available, to save money for other parts, i was hoping to find smth a lot cheaper than $500, like the zion 737 (sadly discontinued).
2008 rockhopper 29er completes are 4xx on specialized's dealer website right now, prolly s/o one for 650. nice enough frame, sliding dropouts, decent 8 speed drivetrain. count on spending money to have the wheels finished by a quality wheel truing dude though.

lysth

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
thanks for the advice guys, i evaluated all the options and finally ordered a white dillinger yesterday :happydance:

i hope to complete the build in a couple of weeks and i'll post some photos.

MMcG, i saw you posted a green 1x9 dillinger on mtbr a while ago, i plan on running 1x9 also, maybe you have some advice on crank selection, chain guides/bashguards etc, i'm new to the single chainwheel idea so i would appreciate any input in the matter.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
thanks for the advice guys, i evaluated all the options and finally ordered a white dillinger yesterday :happydance:

i hope to complete the build in a couple of weeks and i'll post some photos.

MMcG, i saw you posted a green 1x9 dillinger on mtbr a while ago, i plan on running 1x9 also, maybe you have some advice on crank selection, chain guides/bashguards etc, i'm new to the single chainwheel idea so i would appreciate any input in the matter.

For 1x9 - you can use anything really. I'd recommend an N-Gear Jumpstop to assist in keeping the chain from falling to the inside. If you don't want to run a bashguard I would recommend a good non-ramped chainring to pair up with whatever crankarms and bottom bracket combination fits your budget.

YOu are a pretty tall guy right? So you may want to consider 180mm crank arms for a better fit for your legs. The Dillinger I tested came with 180mm FSA cranks and I didn't really have any major pedal strike issues when I ran the eccentric bottom bracket in the back and up position.

Hope this is helpful! And congrats on the incoming Dillinger!

Cheers,

Mark

lysth

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
YOu are a pretty tall guy right? So you may want to consider 180mm crank arms for a better fit for your legs. The Dillinger I tested came with 180mm FSA cranks and I didn't really have any major pedal strike issues when I ran the eccentric bottom bracket in the back and up position.
I'm about 6'2"-6'3" and the inseam is 35.5 or in that ballpark.

I have been running a 28-38-48 crank and 11-30 cassette so far, with 175mm arms (i think). I guess 32x11-34 will be pretty close to what i had. How will longer crank arms influence that feeling? Easier to spin i suppose?

what about bottom bracket choice? should i avoid square taper since i'm more of a high torque guy?

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm about 6'2"-6'3" and the inseam is 35.5 or in that ballpark.

I have been running a 28-38-48 crank and 11-30 cassette so far, with 175mm arms (i think). I guess 32x11-34 will be pretty close to what i had. How will longer crank arms influence that feeling? Easier to spin i suppose?

what about bottom bracket choice? should i avoid square taper since i'm more of a high torque guy?
What is your budget for cranks?

I'd say for a mountain bike give a go with a 32T front ring and an 11:34 Cassette in back and look for a medium cage rear derailleur. Just an idea.

Keep us posted on things.

Best,

Mark

lysth

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
I don't really have a planned price ceiling for anything right now that the frame and fork have been sorted out, i'm just going on common sense. I'm aiming for a little more than a budget build, with value for money and weight in mind. My LBS already has some FSA chainrings i like, so i'm in the market just for the crank arms and BB. The race face deus xc 2007 crank arms are 110 EUR on chainreaction, and that's prolly as high as i'll go if i can't find a cheaper option or a 2nd hand light crank with busted rings...

I already have a pretty good derailleur, but it's long cage... is that a problem for 1x9 setups? i seem to remember reading that the 1x9 should have the shortest chain possible, is a long cage more prone to failure under high torque when in highest gear?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
With an 11:34 cassette you should be okay with a Long Cage I bet. Look into FSA crank arms if you like their chainrings. Or simple Shimano XT is a no brainer way to go - always reliable and great strength to weight ratio too.

lysth

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
bike has been a joy for the last month or so, thanks for all the help guys, here are some build pics finally: