Quantcast

Cheap Bike

Mar 22, 2005
Well, i don't have much money and would like to get a bike that could do some good trail riding and yet still take some urban and dirtjump action. I probally wouldn't be dropping or jumping much over 5 feet in the next year or 2. I am currently on a '04 Hardrock comp disc and i really like it, but i don't know if it would be able to take the abuse. I only have around $700 CND to spend and don't mind riding last years model. also they biggest frame i can probally ride is a 15"

This is a link to the basic specs on my bike
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9605&JServSessionIdroot=h7bcix0ibd.j27001

the only diffence is the brakes, i don't have the wave rotors

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
that frame will be fine for someone your size and the riding you say you'll do. id concentrate on getting a decent fork and wheels, both of which are pretty weak on that bike.

Mar 22, 2005
Ebay here i come

Could i put some 130mm Dirtjumper Forks on my frame?

do you think that will work i use it for my other hobby, Hobb class RC

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
Hardrock Rider said:
Ebay here i come

Could i put some 130mm Dirtjumper Forks on my frame?

do you think that will work i use it for my other hobby, Hobb class RC
yes you could, but thats overkill. those forks are HEAVY and poorly dampned. a marzocchi z1 would be a much better choice, and the older ones are pretty cheap.

Mar 22, 2005
i really don't have much cash, what is somthing that would be better that the MZ for really cheap, it doesn't have to be name brand or anything.

I didn't mention it before, but i havn't riden my bike yet, i just got it, i could trade it in for a bike that is around $500 US or $800 CND

I was looking at hte Fisher Mullet heres the link http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=biggns&bike=Mullet
my local dealer has on for aroudn $800 and with a few walks shoveled (that's why i havn't ridden my bike, snow sucks) and some chores and some work i could upgrade.

I am starting to think i put this in the wrong forum, i won't be going big like some of hte pics i've seen, no more than 5 feet, but flat landsing are a common thing for me.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
I loved the hardrock that took all the abuse i could give it along with the MZ i rode that fork for 3 yrs before i got a new and and its still in near perfect condition... The wheels need to go though.

Mar 22, 2005
thank alot man, i really didn't want to have to replace the shock, but the wheels i was ok with replacing, i can get a pretty good set for about $100

I think i will just keep 'em til they break though, don't fix what isn't broken. I'm willing to take the pain when they taco or what ever happens.

specr690

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
seattle, washington
i looked at getting a hardrock a while back. alot of the components are fine, but you should watch out for the cranks that it comes with. the square taper bottom bracket isnt a match for the splined crank on higher end bikes. my friend sheared his square-taper truvativ (same as the ones on the hardrock) in a matter of months, just riding on street, stair drops, etc. im not sayin the hardrocks a bad bike, i like them. but you might want to look at a bit of a step up- i recommend the specialized P:2. its a fantastic starting bike, and the components are good for swapping onto other frames should you decide to upgrade in the future.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
wait if u just bought that bike and u have 800 cnd left why didnt u buy a nicer bike with all that money???