Quantcast

Cheap Cheap - Airborne Pathogen

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
So while I think the above bikes seem like legitimate options (using my magic interwebz-eye that is basically an x-ray FEA system combined with a kinematics algorithm), I'm not sure they're orders of magnitude less than say a complete 450. In fact, if I used the current euro to dollar conversion correctly, the Propain is actually more expensive than the 450 - although I didn't get too far into the spec options. The Canyon however does appear to be less by ~$600, but I'm not sure if that includes shipping to the Murika. I couldn't make out the bottom one's name with my Benjiman Franklin edition iPhone 3, so no comparison there. And speaking as a Murikin Freedumber, I'm not sure about dealing with a small outfit out of Yurp vs. someone on this side of the pond who always returns my emails and answers the phone.
The bikes I posted range from 4000-5000$ in the posted spec but you can get the lowest spec canyon for under 2500$ and the frame of the propain goes for 1700$. And while canyon might be one of the biggest direct sellers companies like propain or yt are not much different than tranition if you don't consider that they cut out the middle man: rider owned, inhouse frame design and asia production. Also these bikes get ridden and reviewd A LOT in europe so it's not like you have to buy the cat in the bag. And with the free trade union coming there might be a cance that these companies get an us-base.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
One good example of a catalog bike that is already "proven" is the current KHS (from taiwan astro engineering) DH bike, ridden by KHS team, logan bingelli, proven in the US dh races and of course the roll your bike off the cliff event, red bull rampage.

http://www.astroeng.com.tw/

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
lol.

I'm just saying, it's good to see options, especially when everybody else seems to be in a race for $4k, to see a cheap taiwanese frame sold for a cheap taiwanese price.
The problem with that is they probably do less to support the community than the the big name direct order companies like Canyon and YT that at least sponsor events and athletes. Though I agree it got a bit silly when 3k retail is a cheap frame now.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
sez the guy who bought the discounted taiwanese bike complaining about a discounted taiwanese bike.

some people...
who's complaining? And according to the Turner site, that $1695 is MSRP....

I was mosting sighing that you point out a "downgraded" shock, yet have no issues with the "downgraded" quality of the Airborne. It's a lot easier to upgrade a shock than a weld.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
who's complaining? And according to the Turner site, that $1695 is MSRP....

I was mosting sighing that you point out a "downgraded" shock, yet have no issues with the "downgraded" quality of the Airborne. It's a lot easier to upgrade a shock than a weld.
dude stop being pedantic. these frames probably come out of the same factory that produces some of your favorite bikes. The xfusion HLR is undeniably a competitive shock, and I would say it's probably closer in line with an RC4 than an RC2. (high/lo compression, rebound, bottom out pressure and size vs. low speed, rebound, and bottom out pressure).

and yes, turner NOW HAS the MSRP listed at 1700....which really sucks for any shop or owner who bought their frame for $3200 and has had the resale value cut by 50%.

Again, I know it's hard to comprehend by my four or six posts stating exactly this, but I'm not saying the turner is a bad deal, nor that the airborne is a better choice right now. It's just not fair to compare a design that has been around for a while and is getting absolutely blown out by its manufacturer with a design that's brand new and being sold at retail.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Where my statement is correct is pertaining to welded aluminum bicycle frames - which is what was being discussed. I also said "typically", which I figured would cover the fact that its not 100% true all of the time.

Just wanted to clear that up, from a guy who has produced 7000 series and 6000 series bicycle frames in bicycle factories domestically and overseas.
Then we agree on that, that most mfg's have little knowledge of the metal they are working with, haha :)

You guys do a good job of it too, just thought I'd point that out in case no body was already praising SC's work. :thumb:

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Good on Airborne if what you say is true regarding their CS. And I honestly hope it works out well for them, and like I said earlier, maybe the bike will prove to be every bit as good or better than an a Tr450. But in order to verify that, we'll need some profoundly stupid sheeple to buy them new and actually ride them.

Hopefully their FB bros will help them out.
Sheeple need someone to follow...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
why are the dhr's getting sold so cheaply anyways?
I honestly chalk it up to marketing budgets and SAPA's screw up. When they hit market, SAPA screwed up the weld at the headtube somehow. They had never had a headtube on a DHR fail from cracking, splitting,etc. The first batch, the headtubes cracked first ride. It held up delivery for a long, long time.

Plus, if you're not sporting a World Cup team to justify your design. But they're selling lots of trail bikes of every size, shape and color.

They have a company apparently using the space where SAPA was completing all the DHR's ordered ages ago.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Right now there's a fire sale starting on just about anything and everything 26" DH. Be patient I bet the price of that Pathogen comes down even more in the coming months. I've not seen this much DH stuff on classifieds in years. If you're looking to unload a 26" DH rig you might have to suck it up and price to sell as supply and demand is taking over. Guessing in another year or two SRAM will discontinue the Boxxer for 26" and only Domain will be an option, why not they stopped the straight 1 1/8 steerer on their high end SC forks.