Quantcast

Cheap/crappy college bike

Dash01

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Seattle, WA
Hello everybody!

I'm going to UW next year, and I need to buy/build a ****ty bike. I'd like it to ride decently, but not be good enough to be targeted by those bastard theives. Any ideas? Oh yah, I'm about 6'2", so I'm guessing a 19" or so mountain bike would be about the right size.

I will have a road bike down there, my cervelo, but I will prolly keep it in my dorm room.

Thanks,
Eric

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
i've got a 20" trek 820 from about 5 years ago, needs a little work and some new wheels, i'd sell it for cheap if you want, pm me if your interested.

edit: guarenteed nobody would want to steal it

Dash01

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Seattle, WA
elRey said:
a little picky for a cheap/crappy college bike. :rolleyes:
Azonic Steelhead doesn't look cheap or crappy. I don't imagine it's very light either. I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not looking for that type of bike..

silversurfer

Chimp
Mar 24, 2004
wet hole
I second the Kona Smoke! They rockity rock! I manage a fleet of bikes, and we recently made the switch to Smokes. For the price, it's hard to do much better. Will probably last forever with a little love.

Dash01

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Seattle, WA
something like the kona smoke seems like it'd fit the bill nicely. They seem kinda expensive, though. well...expensive for what it is...

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
if you are going to bellingham anytime soon check out the community bike shop called "the hub". they are located on the south end of downtown on state st, next to a motorbike shop and under/behind a scuba shop. they have lots of used bikes. I think they have what you want.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
How tall are you? I'd consider selling you mine, since I am looking to begin funding the purchase of a decent road machine. It's a 20", has straight bars and big, cushy Lizard Skins dual ply grips, an upgraded SRAM PC 58 chain and SRAM 8 speed cassette (replacing the cast-iron cogs that came with it). It's been sitting idle since the crappy rear derailleur shifted into the spokes and exploded a couple of months ago, but I'll slap a used XT long cage derailleur on it for you and all you'd need to do is have a couple of spokes in the rear wheel replaced: $200.

Dash01

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Seattle, WA
I'm between 6'1" and 6'2". Would you consider a straight across trade for a stratos s7?

Where are you located? I don't want to mail the damn thing, that'd cost too much.

edit:I see you're in puyallup. Maybe we could meet up once I get to college or somthing...

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Like I said, looking for cash for a road bike so the trade, not so much. Let me know if you are still looking when you get down here, I might still have it/want to sell it.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Check the yard sales where you are. Old 10-speeds, etc. are a dime-a-dozen. I got a '70s vintage Schwinn Traveler for $5 (down from the $10 asking price) 2 years ago. It was in immaculate condition; I think the guy bought it new and hung it up for a garage decoration. It pedalled and shifted perfectly - - shucks I scotchbrited the chrome and it gleemed again!

Or if you have a St. Vinny's nearby, check it out. In Spokane, that's the repository for old-but-functional bikes. Also check pawn shops.

I know exactly what you're after. My daughter went to USC (heart of L.A.) and NOBODY dared park a decent bike on campus. The uglier the better. My son's at Western and it's the same way there (to a lesser degree). Rule of thumb is don't buy more bike than you are willing to not cry over when it gets jacked.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I have been in college for a long time and this what I recomend. Have your totaly kick ass bike that lives in your dorm/apt because you are to smart to go lock it up everyday at the same place for the same amount every single time.... right...right thats what I thought. Now that we cleared that up. Get an old Road bike or hard tail mtb(GT pantera for Example) you can find these guys all over the place for almost nothing. Take that to the bike shop and have it converted into a single speed. You can go fixed gear of you want but when your hungover or just chillin coasting is nice. So I say Singlespeed with a free wheel. Usualy they just strip off the old cassete and throw a gear and spacers on there. Don't by a new a hub and have a rim built A. It is expensive. B. you now have stealable/desireable things on your bike. I do how ever recomend throughing a FMF cranks set on there and ROCKET rings are realy inexpensive. Now you have bike with only brake levers on it. The beauty of it you can go anywhere on this bike and nothing go's wrong ever there are no expensive derailure to replace or skipping gears to annoy you. I recomend a 2:1 gear ration(aka 42T in the front 24T in the back). You will now have an unstopable ride. Go to the parties and crash it 18 time on the way home next morning you get up ride it to class and it is perfect. Because there is nothing on it to mess up or need tuned. Just oil your chain every now and again. All you new friends will go "SICK!!!, One gear my pile of **** never ever works right."

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Spoken like a true man-in-the-know.

Added note: PVC pipe coupler for 1 1/4" has an almost-perfect I.D. for spacers on the freehub body. Score a mark with a tubing cutter then cut your segments with a hacksaw.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
MinorThreat said:
Rule of thumb is don't buy more bike than you are willing to not cry over when it gets jacked.

My buddies 25 dollar S.S. comuter of 4 years got stolen. I have never seen a man so devistated in my life. He tried to fight everyone on an old blue roadbike for 2 weeks, Funniest thing EVER!!!