Quantcast

Cheap Digicam recommendations

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Since there are a lot of photog monkeys on here, any recommendations for a ultra cheap point and shoot?

I'm looking around the 100 dollar range +/- 50
I'm am fully aware that I'd be "getting what I pay for" and I'm not looking for tons of features.

I'm just looking for a small, cheap digi-camera that is a step up from a disposable without a tremendous amount of shutter lag for action shots.
Something that I can take on the trail and on the lake.

So far the HP Photosmart M22 has caught my eye even though I'm aware of it's draw backs, the lens protection / water resistance seem to be a bonus.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've found the cheap HP & Kodak cameras to have really horrible lenses. May not be true for all of them but I've used 3 or 4 different models of their sub-$200 cameras and they've all been lousy.

If you could step up to the $200 range, you'd get a lot more options, but in your budget range, Sony has their S-series lineup. In particular, the S600 is available from Dell Home:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0596730

Add to cart to get $170 price, -$20 coupon code B0FT?4NVX46RCH, brings you into your pricerange.

My sister had an Olympus similar to the FE-115 that was suprisingly decent:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=421580&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Thanks,
I have always been satisfied with Olympus equipment especially for the price.

any experience with the "outdoor" use cameras like
Bushnell

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
this is pretty cool to even though it's a cmos chip.

bonica snapper

well i mainly like it cause its called the snapper. :)

It's hard to stick with such a low price point.
Maybe I should look at the kiddy cameras and think more disposable / digital.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Never used any Bushnell or Bonica cameras.

I've used a couple sets of nice Bushnell binoculars so they're certainly capable of producing really great optics, but I doubt any of those brilliant optics are making it into their $150 digital cameras so you can't really go by that :)

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah good point.
I'm going to look at cheaper stuff from Sony, Oly, and Nikon. Their low end stuff should be better.

If it gets bashed up in a crash or covered in mud, I'm not going to mind so much.

Thanks

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Last year I picked up a Canon Elph SD200 from Ebay for $150. It was new in the box, came with a 256mb card a small tripod and a carrying case. It's only 3.1 megapixel, but as far as I'm concerned, that's fine for point and shoot stuff. I rarely make prints anyways.

It's small enough to fit in one of those camelbak comm pockets that attaches to the shoulder strap. That was a biggie for me, as I hated taking my pack off during rides and rummaging for the camera. This way it was right there, easy to get at on the fly.

You can probably pick one up even cheaper now if you do some searching. In general, though, I think if you go back a year or two and read reviews of some of the last couple model year cameras, you should be able to pick them up on closeout or on ebay at close to your pricepoint.