Quantcast

Cheap entry to the sport!

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
*This is meant to be a semi-PSA*

As there are frequently threads created talking about cheaper parts, bikes, etc, the following caught my eye and I just wanted to do my part to help spread the love.

Flipping through (insert favorite name) magazine, I came across an ad for Airborne Bicycles. Now for a good number of yall, it might not ring a bell, but Airborne has been around for a number of years. They got their start by offering CHEAP titanium xc and roads bikes. They were never anything special, but they worked, and they were fairly well spec'd.

Well the current iteration of Airborne has gone in a slightly different direction and is now offering XC, AM, FR, and DH bikes. The DH part of the ad really piqued my interest so I checked them out.

First off, was that it appears Airborne bought out the remaining inventory/design of the IH Yakuza. Seriously, exact same frame, frame features, etc. This isnt a bad thing.

Second, the price. Complete bike, $2500...or purchased through randall scott: $1600. Sixteen hundred.

The Airborne link:

http://airbornebicycles.com/Products/Product.aspx?p=10

and the RS link:

http://www.rscycle.com/Airborne-TAKA-Mountain-Bike-All-Mountain?sc=19&category=97364

There. No more reason using price as a reason to not get into this great sport/past time.

And for the haters, no, Sam Hill wont be riding an Airborne. No, it is not going to help you win any pissing contests. Yea, the design is somewhat dated. True, the parts group isn't going to be the envy of the rich kids. So what.

SERIOUSLY, $1600! ****s crazy cheap

*I am not, in any way, affiliated with Airborne or Randall Scott. I have no intentions of ever purchasing an Airborne, or any product from Randall Scott*

Last edited:

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I dont fully remember what happened with the ironhorse break-up, but wasn't randall scott the son of someone at iron horse or something like that? I don't remember the whole story, and maybe I'm way off, but I thought there were some shady deals going on around that time.

Either way, that doesn't have anything to do with the price. That really is a good deal for a begineer.

-KT

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I just bought a 6point from randal scott (for crazy cheap) and it arrived fine. I called them a couple times as well. The service was great and everything seemed legit.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
as said you have to remove the sales tax from the equation.
which means the bike costs about 2250 USD
still a smoking deal not as cheap as the airborne but defintely not twice the price