Quantcast

"cheap" forks

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i'm looking for a new triple crown to replace my olde 32mm boxxer. i've had an Avalanche cartridge for a while now, so i have gotten accustomed to very good damping.

is it ghetto to get the cheapest boxxer and throw the cartridge in it? i see marzocchi makes some lower end 888 (RCV, CR), aside from being boat anchors is there anything wrong with them?

also considering the 888 RC3 EVO non Ti. i don't mind the small weight penalty, but it seems like the Ti spring can't be the only thing that makes a $600 price difference between the two forks? i know a lot of you guys have more time on forks than me, and i haven't ridden the newer 888s.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
dude i can get you a brand new domain dual crown for less than 400. its a boxxer rc with steel stantions. more durable too. i literally just took an old basic 888r off my buddy's sunday and put this domain on. feels good. if you want to put the avy on, both options are good. the domain dc is about 7.5lbs and the 888r weighed in at 8 lbs.

im in sd too.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
What's your reasoning for getting a new fork/ chassis?

Unless you feel that the 32mm Boxxer is not stiff enough, I don't see a need to change anything.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
also considering the 888 RC3 EVO non Ti. i don't mind the small weight penalty, but it seems like the Ti spring can't be the only thing that makes a $600 price difference between the two forks? i know a lot of you guys have more time on forks than me, and i haven't ridden the newer 888s.
AFAIK the differences are steel spring, different stanchon tubes, steel bolts. Nothing internal.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I believe the new 888 evo steels have ti bolts? I seem to remember reading that in one of Zoke's documents. Also, you can BARELY fit a Ti spring in a steel 888 allegedly.

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
People do that with the boxxer's. Buy the lower models then drop a avy cart in it and call it good. Supposedly a better deal and performance than the upper models.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
dude i can get you a brand new domain dual crown for less than 400.
would it be sacrilege to put on of those on a v10 carbon haha? i dunno, the finish on the stanchions looks less than perfect on the one in my shop, and they are pretty damn heavy with no easy way to make them lighter. which end of SD county? i'm up near esco. we should ride sometime!

What's your reasoning for getting a new fork/ chassis?

Unless you feel that the 32mm Boxxer is not stiff enough, I don't see a need to change anything.
well, first off, most of my fork is about 7 years old now...and no matter what i do i still doesn't feel as plush as say a new 40, boxxer WC or 888. and yea, it does feel pretty flexy compared to everything else out there nowadays. i guess after 10 years of riding 32mm forks, i'm ready for a little change.

me and a fellow suspension tech have this theory that part of the reason marzocchis feel so buttery is the 300+ cc of oil they typically use on the damper side, which is also why the avy cart makes such a huge difference in the boxxers as it essentially doubles the oil volume you are using in the damper.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
You could always get the 888 CR if you're on a budget. What I've heard is that it's a sick fork for the money. Personally I wouldn't go below 888 EVO though. Anything cheaper would be looking weird on a V10c, hehe.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
what are the key differences between the CR damper and the EVO damper? both have external rebound and low speed compression, what is the third knob on the damper side of the EVO for?

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
The third knob on the EVO (or actually forth, including the spring preload) is the Volume Adjust. By turning it in you increase the virtual oil level which makes the fork more progressive. The LSC knob moves the "knee" where the HSC kicks in as well, where it transitions from lsc to hsc. The way I look on the VA knob is that it increases both HSC (by making the fork harder to compress deeper in the stroke) and of course as a bottom out control.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
My understanding is that the Avalanche kit does not work in the Domain DC as the stanchion thickness is different so the cap kits Craig out are not compatible with Domain stanchions. If this has changed, awesome as I think it is a good, if somewhat heavy, chassis. I would definitely double check before buying one and thinking it will work.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
So if volume adjust isn't a big deal (I'm perfectly capable of tuning oil height) is there anything else I lose with the CR?

I did notice the CR is spec'd for about 70cc more oil on the damper side, I'm guessing that is a big part of the 180g weight difference between the evo and the CR. Both forks have internally adjustable shims, wouldn't the LSC dial have the same effect on high speed with both forks (the knee effect you're talking about)? My 4x RC3 is the same way...