Quantcast

Cheap guy Hub choice

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Need a hub for my project...

Have the option of a Ringle Lawwill hub in camo for $80, or a Rocky Mountain formula knockoff for about $30. Each should fit, weight is not as much of a concern as durability and clickiness. The rest of the bike is black but I don't care much about color.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Ringlé no doubt.
I have 2 of those and they are good quality. Easy to service, 36 POE, nice sound, ...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Ringle for sure, but buy a set of bearings soon, because the stock ones DO NOT last a season. AND, do NOT run enduro bearings. The only bearings that will last more than a season with the way the hub is designed is a high quality one like SKF. My Ringle 12x165 with SKF's lasted over a year untill I sold it.

The reasoning is the way the hub design preloads the bearings. It wears over time and allows the hub to be overtorqued. Cheap bearings, like enduro (which are so bad I have no idea how they are recomeneded here) can't handle the loads and fail sooner.

With the right bearings, the hub lasts a while, and is quite robust.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cool, thanks guys. I was set on the lawwill (especially with the stupid removable cap) but then I saw the RM hub for $30. I've had a ringle before, and while it came broken on a used bike, after sending it away for 6 weeks of warranty, it was a great hub.