Quantcast

Cheap heavy wheelset?

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
What would be a good cheap wheelset that I could use for shuttle runs? I made my King/5.1 set look like a noodle over the weekend, so I came to the realization that a really heavy set for shuttle specific is a must but I don't want to sink a whole bunch of money into it.

Might as well include a pic from the weekend...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Revolutions and Outlaws use exactly the same joytech hubs, and the rims look pretty similar as well. Transition's give you a bunch of color choices. The white rims with red ano hubs look dope.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
from what i've seen and heard, outlaws will not stand up to the abuse that the transitions will. a lot of people dig the outlaws because they're a little lighter i think and can be had at a very low price, but everyone that i've talked to about them has something to complain about. one of the guys i ride with has one and it is beat and the other riders i have talked to are stoked on the wheel for the price point exclusively and not really for the performance. the transition rims are higher quality, a few shops known for good wheels have actually been building budget wheels with the transition rims that have turned out nicely.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The Outlaws use an Alex rim (supra D). The Transition rims are differnt than the Outlaws and use a Kinlin rim. They're decent rims, I like the 32mm version. You can buy the rims seperately as well.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
FCLinder, is that your list of sponsors in your sig? i definitely see azonic there....

FCLinder, is that your list of sponsors in your sig? i definitely see azonic there....
yeah he is sponsored by azonic, but FClinder has been beating the snot out of outlaws for years now. Snowshoe, windrock, etc... and has never had any problems.

Lots of rims out there though. The transitions look good and have been getting good reviews. Probably take a beating and probably weigh like they can take a beat down.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
bahahaha! FCLinder: you got served!
Are we in a High School Dance Off here?

So one of the things I decided when I started back racing 3 years ago was that I was going to choose what product I rode. Not ride the product because of the deal I get on it. Yes I am sponsored by them. Have been for a very long time. I have test products for them in the past too. They make some good stuff and some not so good stuff as many companies do. I am not promoting their product just because I ride it, but only because I believe in it. The wheels are the only product I use of theirs. I could be riding a set of I9s and have $500+ in them. But over the years of having wheel sponsors I have learned most DH wheelsets are the same, one just cost a crap load more than the other because of a name. This is normally the most abused part on a DH bike and will always be this way. I have destroyed many wheels in my time. I am not going to care less about a wheel if I destroy it and it cost me nothing. I will be very pissed if I destroy a set of $500 wheels. On the lucky side I have never once had a problem with them or destroied one of their wheels. I guess I am just getting smoother in my old days!!!!!

:cheers: Good night guys!!!!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Guys the OutLaws are not a Heavy wheelset. They are lighter than Mavic DeeMaxs. But with that said they will take a lot of abuse!!!! For the $$$ by far the best wheelset out there.
I threw some on the scale at the shop, the hadley/721's I had just built were exactly the same weight.

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
Thanks for all of the answers...It really gives me some options - All of which are better than ruining another rim. Of course, if I rode smoother...that would help. :lighten: