Quantcast

Cheap Internet W/O land line??

Does anybody have any good options for decent Internet for a reasonable price without getting a land line phone or cable TV package?

Cable Internet without TV is about $57.00, DSL without a land line is about the same if I can believe the somewhat-clueless sales drone.

Anybody know of other options?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
My cable internet w/o TV is about $40. I think it just went up a couple of bucks though. I had one of those 12 month specials.

Get a wireless and move into a high rent condo. One of your neighbors is sure to have a hub.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
there are some towns starting wireless internet services. Check for that. Other than that, you could try leeching wireless internet from someone in your neighborhood. Its easy. You need an external wireless antenna and a pringles can.... ;)

If you think this would work, I can give you more info!

CLancy

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
In the 8 mile commute from work to the ferry there are like 10 hot spots with about 7 of them broadcasting all their info for those smart enough to have the proper tools to log on and do what ever. One guy on my vanpool is an IS guy and he has all those cool toys.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
When I ordered cable internet the cable-gal also hooked my T.V. up on the down-low. No bribes or favors. Been rollin with it for 2 years now. Kinda makes you wonder what they can't keep track of and how they figure the cost for some of these services.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Bullitrider said:
When I ordered cable internet the cable-gal also hooked my T.V. up on the down-low. No bribes or favors. Been rollin with it for 2 years now. Kinda makes you wonder what they can't keep track of and how they figure the cost for some of these services.
I've had that goin before too. At several different residences. They always get wise though. Just milk it until they do and play dumb when they call you on it.

I know MACs have a built in tool, the chooser?, that shows you all the nodes available and network names even. Is there a tool like that for PCs that is easily available or free to download?

I am guessing the Pringles can is for a make-shift higher-gain directional antenna.

I don't really want cable TV, it takes away from my biking time.

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
My friend opened up her lap top in her new place and presto there was a node. Been working great for 6 months so far. She wouldn't mind helping with the bill but she has no idea who's node it is.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
ask about cable internet specials, they have them, was paying $15 for the first 6months, then just say you can't pay full price and they will keep offering you a lower monthly cost, than full price. just have to ask and be patient.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
ioscope said:
I know someone who lives across the street from a net cafe. Fast WiFi, and nobody gets hurt!
We have Wi-Fi in Cle Elum from a couple of local providers. Neither of them advertised their services, mostly by word of mouth. Its $40 per month and its about 4x faster than dial up-on average sometimes slower and sometimes faster. The "pirates" in town figured you could hang out near the provider with a laptop and antennae and log on for free. They finally shut it down. I think Verizon or Quest if they ever get their act together might offer the cheapest fast service. I am still waiting though

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
if you live near seattle check this out..

http://www.seattlewireless.net/

free wireless mesh network..good stuff. i have a high gain antenna broadcasting for all around me connecting them to this...

as per the pringles can?
http://www.cantenna.com/

to get into someones wireless network, its not a hard task...bi-mode nic, a couple programs - kismit, airsnort, ethereal...for example....some patience, and your favorite linux distro....i suggest gentoo, but hey, im an elitest when it comes to unices.

best of luck with that :)

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
yep thats it (but homemade)! and seriously it works really well. I just bought a netgear MA111 (11mb wireless card, looks like a pen drive on a USB whip and is THE cheapest way to get wireless. 20 bucks on ebay) and mounted it. I had 2 networks available before, now I get no less than 6. Went from getting 2mb at most to getting 11mb all the time. and it is directional, sort of like a shotgun mic. Try it out!

I do have a couple of 802.11b cards for my laptop. I'll try this weekend to see if there are any easy to access networks. It's not a super high density neighborhood though, so we'll see what shows up. There are a few range extender antennae on ebay for my cards for ~$15 so the pringles can is an option.