Quantcast

Cheap wheel thoughts?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm on the lookout for a new set...someone stole my front Easton Vista SL when I absentmindedly left it unlocked for an hour. I have a hookup through BTI and am eyeing these:

https://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/WH/WHRD/TI

Torelli Bormio, 1530g and inexpensive. Sealed cartridge hubs.

Also looking at just front wheels, as I still have my rear Easton (Used is an option...hint hint). Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the Torellis? They look like a rebrand job to me.

Paging Loco...

Last edited:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Neuvations maybe?

Cambria has Vista SL sets for 170-200 depending which model year you buy. Pretty cheap, to me anyway.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ultegra hubs 28h 2x with Dt revolutions on Open Pro's. Cheaper, lighter and better in every conceivable way.
Actually thinking of going this route, but with Alex R-380 rims, Ultegra front 24H and reusing my old rear hub. Shying away from the Open Pros after seeing a couple messengers here crack them.

So much for this forum...if it's not a $3000 wheelset ridden by fat old dudes it doesn't count ;)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Actually thinking of going this route, but with Alex R-380 rims, Ultegra front 24H and reusing my old rear hub. Shying away from the Open Pros after seeing a couple messengers here crack them.

So much for this forum...if it's not a $3000 wheelset ridden by fat old dudes it doesn't count ;)
There is no chance in hell there are actual "messengers" in Santa Cruz.

Those Alex Rims are waaay overkill.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
There is no chance in hell there are actual "messengers" in Santa Cruz.

Those Alex Rims are waaay overkill.
You'd be surprised, but somewhat correct. It's definitely a different style than messengering in a large city. I used to work in Salt Lake...and now here. There are a few routes that are more akin to road riding than messing.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Honestly, I think they are heavy, but you won't ever damage a Velocity Deep V. I'd just get them, but if you plan to harsh on them, build them 3 cross. I used to love OPs, and they do ride nice, but f*#k them for that ticking that most develop in the first 2000 miles. I ride DT 1.1s now.

And you're wrong...I like plenty of $2000 wheels. :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Honestly, I think they are heavy, but you won't ever damage a Velocity Deep V. I'd just get them, but if you plan to harsh on them, build them 3 cross. I used to love OPs, and they do ride nice, but f*#k them for that ticking that most develop in the first 2000 miles. I ride DT 1.1s now.

And you're wrong...I like plenty of $2000 wheels. :D
I have two issues with Velocity Deep Vs:

1) They weigh more than any other part on the bike, and a half pound more each than the rims I'm currently considering

2) I'll be inclined to get some retarded hipster-tastic color if I DO indeed get them...making me look like more of a tool than I already am

I'm nominally smooth on my wheels, midweight (165lbs), and have no issues truing wheels myself as I do have a stand and experience. I've never built up my own set and am very excited to do so...rethinking the 24H front, now considering a 20H front wheel radially laced (rear 24H). Still pretty stoked on the Alex rims with a lightweight hub and maybe aero spokes for that extra bit o' blingtasticness. There is a 75-mile day with a windy 40 mile stretch that the aero spokes might be appreciated on that I do three times a week.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have two issues with Velocity Deep Vs:

1) They weigh more than any other part on the bike, and a half pound more each than the rims I'm currently considering

2) I'll be inclined to get some retarded hipster-tastic color if I DO indeed get them...making me look like more of a tool than I already am

I'm nominally smooth on my wheels, midweight (165lbs), and have no issues truing wheels myself as I do have a stand and experience. I've never built up my own set and am very excited to do so...rethinking the 24H front, now considering a 20H front wheel radially laced (rear 24H). Still pretty stoked on the Alex rims with a lightweight hub and maybe aero spokes for that extra bit o' blingtasticness. There is a 75-mile day with a windy 40 mile stretch that the aero spokes might be appreciated on that I do three times a week.
My thoughts: Aero spokes are kind of a PITA to deal with. Doubt you really want to go through that on your first wheel build. If you feel like doing something fancy there, use Revolutions or something. Same applies for really low spoke counts, no need to go nuts there. I'd do something like Ultegra hubs, 32h, 28 if you really want, with DT RR1.1 rims. They're pretty light, sturdy, really well made, and build up easily.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I'd do something like Ultegra hubs, 32h, 28 if you really want, with DT RR1.1 rims. They're pretty light, sturdy, really well made, and build up easily.

I second the advice above. I built my first wheelset off 105 hubs and RR1.1 rims, I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out. Straight 14s are going to be the easiest to build well on a first go, but 14/15s won't wind up much more and they do save a few grams. Solid wheels, not too heavy, built to last = happiness