Quantcast

Cheapskating on the hardware

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
Is it just me or are more companies not providing the proper hardware to mount their products these days? Just got an ODI grip "bonus pack" with grips, locks, and no bolts. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but I haven't ridden in a few years and I don't have a set to scavenge from... Same thing with the e.thirteen ss+ I just put on, no extra long chaining bolts to mount the bash-guard with and the guide wont work without it so I had to rummage around and find an ancient set of bolts in my part box. As soon as they are done soaking in spirits to de-gum the old threads I'll finally have my stuff on.

Give me hardware or give me death!

/rant

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Did you check for the screws in the grips themselves? They usually are in a little plastic bag stuffed into one of the grips.

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
Thanks for that but I need to get some longer chain-ring bolts for the stupid bash anyway so I'm gonna ransack the hardware at the lbs.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Thanks for that but I need to get some longer chain-ring bolts for the stupid bash anyway so I'm gonna ransack the hardware at the lbs.
No way you're going to find chainring bolts at the hardware store. If you want I can check if I have some longer chainring bolts when I get home and add throw them in the bag. Since they're small they'll mail in a regular envelope just fine.

I have an endless supply of SS metric hardware here are work, so don't be shy.:thumb:

EDIT - misread your post. LBS will likely charge you up at the ass for stupid nuts and bolts. Up to you though. As a reference, last time I bought small hardware at the LBS, they wanted something like $4 for a single chainring bolt/nut combo. Retarded.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
No way you're going to find chainring bolts at the hardware store. If you want I can check if I have some longer chainring bolts when I get home and add throw them in the bag. Since they're small they'll mail in a regular envelope just fine.

I have an endless supply of SS metric hardware here are work, so don't be shy.:thumb:

EDIT - misread your post. LBS will likely charge you up at the ass for stupid nuts and bolts. Up to you though. As a reference, last time I bought small hardware at the LBS, they wanted something like $4 for a single chainring bolt/nut combo. Retarded.
Yeah. Shop charged me about that for chainring bolts.

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
4 old 10mm bolts and sleeves cost me 20 bucks argghh. Yes I know about mcmaster-carr but I don't really want to wait.

Thanks crabjoe I appreciate it but I rounded up the bits I needed. I found some mangled griplocks hidden in my junk stash and some of them had bolts.

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
4 old 10mm bolts and sleeves cost me 20 bucks argghh. Yes I know about mcmaster-carr but I don't really want to wait.

Thanks crabjoe I appreciate it but I rounded up the bits I needed. I found some mangled griplocks hidden in my junk stash and some of them had bolts.
So $5/chainring bolt?:shocked: I was pretty spot on.